Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Looking for a good blueberry melomel recipe.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
Q2XL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Looking for a good blueberry melomel recipe.

Does anyone have one?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
KCWortHog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sure. 5 gallon batch.

primary:
20 pounds of neutral honey like clover or sage blossom
14 pounds of frozen blueberries
2 packets D47 yeast

secondary:
16 ounces blueberry juice concentrate

Backsweetening:
1 cup honey of your choice (tupelo works)

Prep the yeast with go-ferm and ferment the honey with the blueberries, doing staggered nutrient additions and whatever else you do in your typical process. Once you hit your FG (should be about 2 weeks), pour the blueberry juice into a sanitized carboy & rack the mead on top of the concentrate. Let it ferment out again (another week or 2).

Add potassium sorbate to another sanitized carboy, rack the mead onto that, and let sit for 2 days. Add 1 cup of honey (that's been turned into syrup by adding about 1/4c of hot water to it). Stir lightly. Let sit for a couple of days under airlock and keep an eye on it to make sure fermentation doesn't start up again. Package & drink!

We made this back in April and drank a bunch of it this weekend - fantastic stuff.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I can just see you in the check out line at the grocery store! lol 14 lbs of frozen blueberries! That is a hellava lot of blues.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
KCWortHog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Costco, baby Two 7-pound bags of wild blueberries for $6.99 each bag!! Can't be beat, and they're some of the BEST blueberries I've ever had from the store. I highly recommend using them.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just got 4 5lb box's of organic michigan blueberries for $6 each last week. I went back this week and they were 10.99 a 5lb box! I'm going with 10lb in the primary and then 10 more when I rack them off. I picked up some blueberry honey when I was in west michigan cheaper than I can order it for. Hopefully get to pitch it tonight.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Damn, I gotta get a membership to Costco. Everybody raves about it down here too.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadWitch View Post
Damn, I gotta get a membership to Costco. Everybody raves about it down here too.
costco and sam's is where it's at.

all the Sam's down here have pretty good wine selections too.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey KC, did that 20lbs ferment out completely in 2 weeks? Also did the mead clear completely?

I did almost the same recipe last fall and the mead is not completely cleared yet. I thought it was due to the concentrate, but I used a different concentrate. It tastes amazing now but I want to wait longer for it to clear completely before I bottle.

I also used med toast french oak cubes for 3 gallons of it and that is even better.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #9
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Q2XL,
Here's one I'm getting ready to bottle:

Primary:
12 lb. honey
2 lb. frozen blueberries, thawed

Secondary:
1.5 lb. honey
8 lb. frozen blueberries, thawed

Tertiary:
1 oz American oak cubes
1 oz Hungarian oak cubes
Potassium sorbate

Also did a GoFerm rehydration with a SNA with FermaidK and DAP. Mine dried out to .992, so you might want to back-sweeten or halt fermentation before it gets that far. Samples have tasted really good, but I'm just too lazy to bottle.

Primary: Neo-1 APA (homegrown); Sterling Patersbier (homegrown)

Kegged: Belma Session IPA; Ordinary Bitter; Session Blonde; Rauchbier; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry;

Bottled: Mosaic Session Brett, French Saison; Smoked Wit; Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Bacon488's Mild

Old 08-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
KCWortHog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningInABottle View Post
Hey KC, did that 20lbs ferment out completely in 2 weeks? Also did the mead clear completely?

I did almost the same recipe last fall and the mead is not completely cleared yet. I thought it was due to the concentrate, but I used a different concentrate. It tastes amazing now but I want to wait longer for it to clear completely before I bottle.

I also used med toast french oak cubes for 3 gallons of it and that is even better.
It did - I think it took about 11-12 days for fermentation to finish, but I don't know what the FG was.... I can't remember if we took a reading or not, and if we did, we didn't write it down... And yes, it did clear pretty well on its own. We did end up adding some SuperKleer just to make it, well, super clear.

The oak cubes is an interesting idea; we found that the blueberry concentrate we bought had a TON of tannins in it, so we didn't need to add any tannins for balance... but I definitely think that if we had just used blueberries, additional tannin would have been warranted.