Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Is it just me or does the Sam Adams Longshot Competition seem like a scam?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
bhamade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Is it just me or does the Sam Adams Longshot Competition seem like a scam?

If you win you only get $5000.00 and free airfare to a beer festival. In exchange, they get your recipe, license, name, likeness, and recipe name for anything they want royalty free.

"If the product is brought to market and made available to American beer drinkers, the homebrewer will receive a one time royalty of $5000.00. If you are a Grand Champion of the Contest, you agree to disclose your complete recipe to The Boston Beer Company and grant to The Boston Beer Company an irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free license to all commercial and intellectual property rights to your winning beer, subject only to your right to receive the $5000.00 one-time royalty. Entering the Contest, constitutes permission to The Boston Beer Company and its agencies to use your recipe, the name of your recipe, your name, likeness, picture, signature, voice, audio and video recordings and biographical information in any manner or media whatsoever (whether now known or hereafter devised) anywhere in the world in perpetuity for the purpose of manufacturing, promoting, advertising and trade, of any product by The Boston Beer Company without further compensation, unless prohibited by law."

Basically they give you $5000+$2000 for the trip and they make a ton of money off of your image and recipe which makes the $7000 seem like chump change.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 741

So, if you take a recipe off this site and send it to a competition and win, do you pay royalties .... By the law of averages almost every 'recipe' has been done already. Over thousands of years and millions of brewers...how original are these recipes anyway? What were these people getting for their beer before they entered the long shot? Nothing. Hell for farting around in my garage, if they are willing to give me a couple of grand....I'll take it. I would think that people are looking for validation when they enter these things....not money.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1266 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If it seems like a scam to you, don't enter. My guess is that 99.9% of brewers that enter will never turn pro and "need" that recipe and even if they did, you can just rebrew it under a different name. You just couldn't sell it as "the recipe that won the longshot comp".

Most brewpubs that run a similar contest have entry fees and the prize is to brew on their system. Sometimes the prize includes a $50 gift certificate.
July 4th Sale, $20 off plate chillers through July 4th.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Plus, I have heard interviews with Jim Koch and he said they basically were told to add that from the legal department. It is to protect Boston Beer in case some jerk enters the comp and then sues them when they brew/sell his/her recipe. It is unfortunate that they have to protect themselves against such people, but not surprising.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

The truth is that there are only so many ways to put hops, malt, and yeast together and that just about every recipe you can think of has been made before by someone. Most recipes that are good are put out there for free for people to do (check out our recipe database). Tasty McDole and Jamil Zainasheff give their recipes away all the time. I'd be quite surprised if your beer was better than Tasty's.

My grandma's spaghetti sauce was awesome. I don't think she would have balked a bit if someone gave her $7000 for it.

It's a publicity thing for Sam Adams, and it's fun for homebrewers. If your recipe is worth more than $7000, and you can get more for it from a brewery somewhere else, then by all means don't enter. The rest of us dummies give our recipes away for free.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can't wait to see yoopers keg picture on the longshot bottle But I think Hugh would pay better

Old 07-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
The truth is that there are only so many ways to put hops, malt, and yeast together and that just about every recipe you can think of has been made before by someone. Most recipes that are good are put out there for free for people to do (check out our recipe database). Tasty McDole and Jamil Zainasheff give their recipes away all the time. I'd be quite surprised if your beer was better than Tasty's.

My grandma's spaghetti sauce was awesome. I don't think she would have balked a bit if someone gave her $7000 for it.

It's a publicity thing for Sam Adams, and it's fun for homebrewers. If your recipe is worth more than $7000, and you can get more for it from a brewery somewhere else, then by all means don't enter. The rest of us dummies give our recipes away for free.
I've been reading Brew Like a Monk and I understand the point, but I believe the process is really the key to brewing. A recipe can turn into anything in the right/wrong hands. Of course it will be macro-brewed by Sam Adams, and they'll brew it the way they see fit.

Belgian beers in particular go far beyond the recipe. Ramp-up temperatures, lower mashing temps, pitching additional/second yeast strains, and adding additional sugar during fermentation are all secrets that Belgian brewers use to perfect their beers.

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
I've been reading Brew Like a Monk and I understand the point, but I believe the process is really the key to brewing. A recipe can turn into anything in the right/wrong hands. Of course it will be macro-brewed by Sam Adams, and they'll brew it the way they see fit.

Belgian beers in particular go far beyond the recipe. Ramp-up temperatures, lower mashing temps, pitching additional/second yeast strains, and adding additional sugar during fermentation are all secrets that Belgian brewers use to perfect their beers.
Oh, I agree! That's why I said that the recipe itself isn't anything new. I didn't mean to convey that just anybody can make an award-winning beer with just a great recipe. Just the opposite is true- you can make a terrible beer with a great recipe. That's why I don't believe any recipe is really worth $$$$$$.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Oh, I agree! That's why I said that the recipe itself isn't anything new. I didn't mean to convey that just anybody can make an award-winning beer with just a great recipe. Just the opposite is true- you can make a terrible beer with a great recipe. That's why I don't believe any recipe is really worth $$$$$$.
Yeah. That's why homebrewers make the best beer.

...and the worst too, heh.

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients