Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Possible Brett in my wild cider, what temp to ferment?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
emr454
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
as for temp id keep it cool id try in the low 59-62 range, by any means if you intend to stop fermentation by cold crashing and racking you will be able to monitor it as it goes, brett is very hungry and will dry that cider out and fast from my experience.

Good luck
I would like to know what the gravity is reading now, but I don't want to disturb the pellicle. Any idea how long before it drops? How low do you think it will take the gravity? It started at 1.052 not quite a month ago.

Eric

Old 07-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Davethebrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Does anyone know what Pediococcus tastes like? I think it might also be a Lactobacilli?

Old 07-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #13
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Pediococcus generates sourness and lactic acid. It is a separate genus from lactobacillus, so it's not technically a lactobacillus. Both genera are in the Lactobacillaceae family, though, so they are fairly closely related. Tthe third genus in that family is paralactobacillus.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrewer View Post
Does anyone know what Pediococcus tastes like? I think it might also be a Lactobacilli?
It is sour, but also produced copious amounts of diacetyl, without brett to clean it up it will taste like drinking butter

I had a cider that I used apples in go that direction, at the time I didnt know better and pitched it, man was it a butter bomb though

Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
emr454
Recipes 

Well, I did it, I took a sample of my cider just to taste it. I didn't take enough for a hydrometer sample because it would take about 8oz to fill my test jar, and that would take quite a bit out of my 1 gallon batch.

Anywho, it smelled of mango, pineapple and maybe a hint of orange and grapefruit, citrus big time. It tasted just like the smell, fruity, citrusy but not tart or sour at all. It definitely didn't taste or smell of apples at all. I would say it was semi-sweet. No off flavors or smells were detected. If this is what the finished product is going to taste like I would be happy, though it could be a little bit drier/tart than it currently is.

This gives me hope that it isn't some harmful bacteria, but whatever it is has only been working for a few days. I'm sure it won't show its full affect on flavor for a few months. May God grant me the patience to keep my hands off it for that long!

Eric

Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #16
emr454
Recipes 

Here is a pic of the sample I took before I drank it:

It is still very cloudy in the carboy. It is going to take a long time to clear up.

Eric

Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 AM   #17
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
I would like to know what the gravity is reading now, but I don't want to disturb the pellicle. Any idea how long before it drops? How low do you think it will take the gravity? It started at 1.052 not quite a month ago.

Eric

Normal sach yeast will take a cider down below 1.00, this being brett its going to take it down there maybe a point or 2 lower being that it can eat up all the complex sugars. in regards to the pellicle, dont worry about disturbing it, it will reform. my guess is that your already at 1.00 if its been a few weeks.

as for the flavors the mangoish flavors are definatly brett.

Good luck
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 AM   #18
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Quote:
Here is a pic of the sample I took before I drank it:

It is still very cloudy in the carboy. It is going to take a long time to clear up.

Eric
Cold crash it at 34 degrees for a few days, rack it in to a fresh carboy, re chill it for a few days, then rerack it again. this should clear it it up quite well

Old 07-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
emr454
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
Cold crash it at 34 degrees for a few days, rack it in to a fresh carboy, re chill it for a few days, then rerack it again. this should clear it it up quite well
Will I be able to bottle carb after cold crashing? I prefer carbed cider but I can do this one still if need be.

Also, even though there is a pellicle, I can still try to wash and re-use this yeast, correct?

Eric

Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #20
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Quote:
Will I be able to bottle carb after cold crashing? I prefer carbed cider but I can do this one still if need be.

Also, even though there is a pellicle, I can still try to wash and re-use this yeast, correct?

Eric
if you follow the procedure i explained then you will not be able to carb the cider. i use this procedure for when i want to stop cider fermentation before the cider is totally dried out. essentially you are creating a stuck fermentation but stressing the yeast. if you want to carb this you might want to just carb it as usual, then once its carbed store the bottles cold for a few weeks to clear them up.

As for rewashing the yeast, its going to be a mixture of yeast strains, the brett the yeast you used for fermentation as well as any bacteria in there. one of the strains will become dominant and most likely you will have a mutated yeast strain. might turn out well, you might also find that its bad. over time it may even change but yes you can wash it the way you would with regular yeast