"Do A Search" <--- I'm sick of seeing this. - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > "Do A Search" <--- I'm sick of seeing this.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #21
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 854 Times on 626 Posts

My favorite:

"My first brewday (with pics)"

I've never looked at a single thread...

Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Did you know that if you do a search for search, you fine that there are almost no threads by folks bitching like this that we are rude about telling folks to search? Or that they are sick of seeing "hey noob search" answers on here? Actually if you search search you find that the majority of the thread posters are actually hoping for a better search, or looking for tips to make search work a little better for them. Or actually praising this forum because they searched on their own, and found the plethora of answers to their basic question, and got the info they needed. Or they had suggestions to make search better.

But I could find very few complaining that we were telling people meanly to search. So it seems that the OP is in the minority here.

In fact as someone on here all the time, I really see very few instances of folks, myself included, telling folks simply to use the search, except in the most helpful ways, or for those threads that we mentioned that get asked 10 times a day, on those repeated subjects, like glass vs plastic, is my beer ruined, my beers not carbed, etc, but even on those threads, we still provide plenty of info.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #23
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Mar 2010
beecher, il
Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My favorite:

"My first brewday (with pics)"

I've never looked at a single thread...
i always look at those, just to see how well a persons forum name matches up with their picture.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #24
spatman
Recipes 

Jun 2010
portland, or

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_ipa View Post
imo this site has the least amount of "search you idiot" posts of any forums i've been on...
+1

Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #25
Special Hops
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Kanatenah
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Here's my pat answer to this, which if you HAD searched for it, I'm sure you would have found.

Considering that every new brewer question is answered about 10 times a day every day, usually by me because people won't look at stickys or use the search...Why shouldn't we suggest they do a bit of work on occasion?

Seriously, I bet you there is no beginner question that hasn't already been answered really effectively on here already. Not just by me, but by a lot of people......

So why should we re-invent the wheel because you are too lazy to look around a bit. I mean we're not mean about it, like some other places, we just want you to know that it's already been covererd repeatedly.

The thing to me about searching is two fold, and I really hate coming off as a search nazi, BUT

1) There is a huuuge amount of state of the art brewing info on here...info that is even more current than palmer (only becasue it takes 2-3 years to get a book out.) Some of us have spent hours writing stuff up, like blogs or long answers to basic questions, including searching for links like audio and video casts to answer those basic questions...And we want you to know it exists, and we want you to utilize it to be the best damn brewer's you can be.

SO when I say it's been covered before, I'm not saying "hey a$$hat, use the search."

I'm saying "Hey, there's some kick ass info on that very topic, put together from some amazing brewers, and it's free, right here, you don't need to buy a book....all you need to do is click "search" and maybe play with the words a couple times...

2) A lot of the "kick ass brewers" who are here, and were here before I got here have stopped answering the same noob questions over and over. Most of those people get tired of it after a couple months, and just ignore these threads...From what people tell me, for doing it constantly for a year, I'm an anomoly....maybe because of my 'calling" (yes I am a minister for the 10,000th time ) I have an almost pathological need to help people...whether it's in a church or in a brewery.

Which means that the people who might be best able to answer your basic question are NOT going to because they did it 6 months ago, and feel that that's enough. Or they are no longer here...but their info is still here and still valuable...

So that really means that if you just start a thread, especially if you are asking about "Stainless vs Aluminum" or Plastic waterbottles or "is my beer ruined," or "what;s your opinion on...?" You may not GET THE BEST INFORMATION YOU COULD BE GETTING You could be getting the same outdated "party line" out of Palmer or Papazian, (which are actually several years of in the case of Charlie over a decade old) when there was some new discovery a few weeks back that we all talked to death and learned from...and we want you to know about it too...

I also have found, as someone that answers a lot of questions everyday, that if a person reads a thread on their "basic question" first and maybe bumps that thread up, that their question has a lot more depth than it might have been...because maybe they zeroed in on an issue from one or more of the posts in a thread...and then rather than,

"What's that fuzzy stuff on top of my beer?" To "Oh I thought my beer was infected, now I know it's a krauzen, it's normal, and it has proteins and other things in it, so what kinda proteins are there, do they come from the yeasts, the wort or both, and should I skim it or not?"

Which is more fun for me to answer because it may lead me to search, or to google or to recall some fuzzy bit of info I heard on a podcast and go search for it for you...and for me...

So get over it. If people keep asking the same question, we ARE going to suggest they search for the answers that are already here. And about 99% of the time we are going to be nice about.

Heck most of the time I do the searching for the person and post the links. But I can't do it 100% of the time, since I often am now answering from my smart phone, and it's not easy to post links from there. And if I can't I usually provide the search words that I use in the post, like give them the paramters that I use.

But again, whether you like it or not, the times we do suggest someone search it is on the questions that get asked over and over and over and over, where the answer is going to be exactly the same, which was more than likely given over and over and over. And hasn't changed in the 10,000 times we've answered it before. So why do we need to re-invent the wheel or beat a dead horse to the ground on the same answers that are already there?
lol - Did you write all this on your smart phone too.

kidding - kidding

As devils advocate. Isn't this why the "beginner brewer" forum is there? Just asking. Perhaps a notice in the beginners forum about searching first or perhaps a FAQ style post of most frequently asked questions would help curb a lot of these repeated beginner questions. I know there is a WIKI but I doubt many know (especially beginners) it exists.

But they will probably just ask away anyways.

Having said all that. As a 10 year brewer and only recently having found this site - I wish I had a place like this when I first started. So many things I did wrong or inefficiently. With only Papazia's book for info or asking the guy at the LHBS.
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
Perhaps a notice in the beginners forum about searching first or perhaps a FAQ style post of most frequently asked questions would help curb a lot of these repeated beginner questions.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but isn't that what the stickied threads are for?!!?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #27
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 8599 Times on 6918 Posts

Like this?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/faq-...question-7909/

Old 07-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #28
DarkNoonBrewer
Steve Trott
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Lafayette, IN
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Wow, i really got everybody going on this. I actually posted in the sober state of mind... wrong forum? Anywho, thanks everyone for the input. I still find it frustrating to read through threads with 200 posts about dozens of different topics that should have been made into several different single posts. Also, when searching for the problems or benefits of particular processes or ideas, it's difficult to stumble across a summery of the question at hand. For instance, the last issue i inquired about was dealing with which problems arise when using canned pumpkin in the mash. There were so many threads i came across that posted excellent results. One of the "Do a search" guys took some time and posted a link to a thread with an answer in it. And I still dont know if his summary is all inclusive. I'm just saying the a search doesn't always give the researcher a complete summary of a question.

And to those who have seen/ contributed/ completely read/ the all telling fountain of knowledge threads, simply state the name of the thread to make the search easier.

"pumpkin in the mash" results in tons of threads with numerous recipes, mash temps, yeast types, first pumpkin stories, exploding bottle stories ect.

If I knew the name of the all telling thread that had the summary on the first page, I wouldn't have to read threads for four hours.

Reason: stubble ---> stumble... goof!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #29
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNoonBrewer View Post
Wow, i really got everybody going on this. I actually posted in the sober state of mind... wrong forum? Anywho, thanks everyone for the input. I still find it frustrating to read through threads with 200 posts about dozens of different topics that should have been made into several different single posts. Also, when searching for the problems or benefits of particular processes or ideas, it's difficult to stumble across a summery of the question at hand. For instance, the last issue i inquired about was dealing with which problems arise when using canned pumpkin in the mash. There were so many threads i came across that posted excellent results. One of the "Do a search" guys took some time and posted a link to a thread with an answer in it. And I still dont know if his summary is all inclusive. I'm just saying the a search doesn't always give the researcher a complete summary of a question.

And to those who have seen/ contributed/ completely read/ the all telling fountain of knowledge threads, simply state the name of the thread to make the search easier.

"pumpkin in the mash" results in tons of threads with numerous recipes, mash temps, yeast types, first pumpkin stories, exploding bottle stories ect.

If I knew the name of the all telling thread that had the summary on the first page, I wouldn't have to read threads for four hours.
I get it. Yes I do.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #30
509inc
Recipes 

Jan 2010
OKC
Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts

I work in I.T. and if my customers knew how to google I'd be out of a job.