Rubber gasket in Fermenting Bucket Warning - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Rubber gasket in Fermenting Bucket Warning

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Parkinson1963
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Ontario
Posts: 91
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



I just got my first infection after three years of brewing.

The culprit was the rubber gasket in the lid of the fermenting bucket.

I have super sanitized everything and have thrown away the rubber gasket and have no intention of buying a new one.

The question is except to form an air tight seal why should I need a rubber gasket in a lid with a 1" hole in it?

The other fermenting bucket I have has no such rubber seal and works very well.

Another reason to use the ferment in a bag method.

Cheers
__________________
Parkinson's Law of Beer "Thirst increases in proportion to the amount of beer available"

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab...n-make-240401/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
DustinHickey
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Long Island NY
Posts: 290
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Glass carboys man. Avoid plastic all together and you wont have to worry about any of those crevis's and scratches. If you going to get another fermenter, just go glass.

Just my opinion.

amandabab Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
jmkratt
 
jmkratt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Parker, CO
Posts: 564
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


How were you able to pinpoint the gasket as the culprit? Just curious.
__________________
John K.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
ScubaSteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
, DC
Posts: 3,680
Liked 84 Times on 58 Posts


Plus, how can you be sure the top of the bucket really touched that much wort? I think the rubber gasket on the spigot would be much more likely to cause infection.....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 70 Times on 63 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
How were you able to pinpoint the gasket as the culprit? Just curious.
+1 This is leaping to a conclusion for sure. There are many possible sources in addition to the gasket. Also, the gasket can be sanitized as well as any other piece of equipment. I've been using the same two plastic bucket fermenters w/spigots for nearly ten years without contamination/infection problems. It seems rather silly to hysterically scream a warning about gasket type plastic lids/buckets with so little evidence.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
homebeerbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Home, where the beer is, NH
Posts: 2,062
Liked 108 Times on 93 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinHickey View Post
Glass carboys man. Avoid plastic all together and you wont have to worry about any of those crevis's and scratches. If you going to get another fermenter, just go glass.

Just my opinion.
Nah, go stainless. I ferment in Sanke kegs. The best part about that is that I can set it on my burner and boil a gallon of water for 15 minutes to sanitize. Cover the opening with aluminum foil to build a little pressure, and it's better than sanitized, it's sterilized.
__________________
BEER - Brew Enjoy Empty Repeat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
Parkinson1963
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Ontario
Posts: 91
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


It was the rubber gasket as I took the whole bloody thing apart looking for mold.

The mold was hiding beneath the gasket.

The beer does have to touch the gasket to get an infection just be near enough for the mould spores to drop in.

Anyway what is the purpose of the gasket? Like I said the other bucket has no gasket.
__________________
Parkinson's Law of Beer "Thirst increases in proportion to the amount of beer available"

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab...n-make-240401/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 70 Times on 63 Posts


No, then it wasn't the gasket at all. It was your poor cleaning and sanitation methods that are at fault. The purpose of the gasket is to insure a positive seal between the lid and the bucket. Plastic bucket fermenters are not all identical. Some have gaskets and some do not. Some buckets were designed as food containers and others to hold various other materials which may or may not require an air tight seal. Those deigned as food containers would obviously require an airtight seal. You can brew beer in a fermenter that lacks an airtight seal, but this increases the risk for contamination and may also contribute to oxidation problems. The gasket was not at fault. You were.

hautlle Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
DavidP
 
DavidP's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Milwaukee
Posts: 134

Well said. Brewers need to understand their equipment and any negative qualities it may have.

I have a threaded spigot on my fermentation bucket, and I know that if I don't clean & sanitize it well enough it will harbor bacteria. Someday I probably will lose a batch because of this, but I'm certainly not going to post a rant on the internet about the evils is threaded fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
No, then it wasn't the gasket at all. It was your poor cleaning and sanitation methods that are at fault. The purpose of the gasket is to insure a positive seal between the lid and the bucket. Plastic bucket fermenters are not all identical. Some have gaskets and some do not. Some buckets were designed as food containers and others to hold various other materials which may or may not require an air tight seal. Those deigned as food containers would obviously require an airtight seal. You can brew beer in a fermenter that lacks an airtight seal, but this increases the risk for contamination and may also contribute to oxidation problems. The gasket was not at fault. You were.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 70 Times on 63 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidP View Post
I have a threaded spigot on my fermentation bucket, and I know that if I don't clean & sanitize it well enough it will harbor bacteria. Someday I probably will lose a batch because of this, but I'm certainly not going to post a rant on the internet about the evils is threaded fittings.
Me too! My plastic bucket fermenters both have threaded spigots. I never bother to disassemble them though I know I probably should. I figure that the hot cleaning solution and the sanitizer will contact all the same exposed surfaces that the wort may reach. Like you, I expect that someday this may cause a problem and I may have to dump a batch, but so far, it's been nearly ten years without any problems. Murphy is bound to catch up with me sooner or later, but when he does I will only have myself to blame.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rubber garden hose gasket temperature range billtzk Equipment/Sanitation 6 07-29-2008 02:00 AM
WHERE TO FIND- Rubber Washer for Plastic Fermenting Bucket? kaj030201 Equipment/Sanitation 7 07-28-2008 06:08 PM
cracked gasket on true blue bucket primary Two Minutes Equipment/Sanitation 4 02-26-2008 05:15 AM
The Barley Crusher's Rubber Roller Gasket Fell Off! Evan! Equipment/Sanitation 15 07-09-2007 03:20 PM
Should my bucket lid have a gasket? EricK The Red Equipment/Sanitation 10 09-06-2006 04:54 AM


Forum Jump