Krausen not fully settling to the bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So about to weeks ago, i brewed up some pale ale and with in about four days the krausen started to settle to the bottom. There is about 80 % at the bottom of the primary, but there is still some floating in the middle of the carboy and hasn't made its way down yet.

Has anyone had this happen before, Iv'e done close to fifty batches and have never seen this before?

I Figured I will what to get it into secondary and see how it looks. I'm still getting bubbles in my air lock about every 20 seconds or so.

I'd leave it in the primary for another couple weeks. Then again, I rarely do secondaries.

What is the temp? What's the SG? If the SG is where you expect it to be when it's done, then one thing you could do it chill it. More will drop out when you drop the temp.

Temp 70
SG 1.048, Was shooting for 1.050

Ok, I was actually wondering what the FG (Final Gravity) is. Your OG (Original Gravity) is probably pretty close to what you were shooting for if you took your reading at 70ºF.

Have you taken another reading yet? I'd recommend taking another reading, wait a couple days, and take another one. If the two readings are the same, fermentation is done. If you still have floaties, chill it down for a few days before racking. That should drop most of it out.

BTW, SG is Specific Gravity, OG and FG are the numbers you want to calculate your ABV with. When someone asks what the SG is, they're most likely asking what the number is at the time of the event in question. I was confused about that too when I started, so not a big deal, but I thought I'd point that out.

I brewed a pale ale using US-05 at about 70 degrees one time. For one reason or another the krausen never fully settled. It was definitely done fermenting and had reached an appropriate terminal gravity, but the krausen foam was so tenacious that it just sat there on top of he cleared beer. i think its just a phenomenon that can happen from time to time. The beer was great.

I've seen this a lot with the WLP001 yeast. Every batch I've used it on sat 3 weeks in primary and never settled out. And they were done.

I think you are getting some vocabulary mixed up. Krauzen is the stuff that is above the liquid during the fermentation, it will fall but was floats to the bottom of the fermentor is the trub and yeast/dead least and all sorts of other stuff.

You need time, different yeasts flocculate at different speeds and over amounts but time is your biggest allie here and then getting it as cold as you can without freezing of course.

Back