Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback > CO2 Regulator Question

Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
jaygrant1387
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default CO2 Regulator Question

I have 2 different CO2 regulators and was wondering if there is any way that they can be put together into a double regulator to run both of them off one CO2 tank. I was also wondering if there is any precautions i need to take when taking the regulators apart or if I should just take them to a professional and let them do it.

Thanks
Jesse

Old 07-22-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Nugent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'd post this in the Equipment/Santitation or the Bottling/Kegging sub-forums. You'll get more people reading it.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
mkory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

can you post pictures of your regulators? It's pretty easy to plumb the two of them together but much easier to explain with pics.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
jaygrant1387
Recipes 

So I did a little research and found out that i can do it and i got all the parts. The only thing i want to know now is there any special way to take apart the regulator. Mine are both used and are older and the its hard to break loose the threads. I dont wanna spray them with WD-40 or anything in risk of it screwing with the beer flavor but im scared to use brute force in risk of damaging the regulator. And also is there any thing i need when putting them back together like sealing tape or anything?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Teflon tape. I prefer that to the white goop.

Don't put too much stress on the guages if you are using them for leverage when pulling it apart. Do you have a small pipe wrench along with the open end wrenches?

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - Bavarian Dunkel

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Forbidden Fruit IPA, Double Chocolate Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Looking for ideas

Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant1387 View Post
So I did a little research and found out that i can do it and i got all the parts. The only thing i want to know now is there any special way to take apart the regulator. Mine are both used and are older and the its hard to break loose the threads. I dont wanna spray them with WD-40 or anything in risk of it screwing with the beer flavor but im scared to use brute force in risk of damaging the regulator. And also is there any thing i need when putting them back together like sealing tape or anything?
Regulators are a bitch...

First - All of the "High-pressure" side threads (They are the ones that run horizontally through the regulator body) are left-hand - Lefty-Tighty, Righty-Loosey
Second, I think they use about 4,000,000,000 Ft Lbs of torque to put them together. You need a couple good wrenches, an bench vice, a couple buddys, and a BFH most times...

Once you get them apart, you can re-assemble as you see fit.

I'd leave the CO2 tank fitting on the regulator if you can - It's really hard to get that thing off without galling the holy hell out of it (Ask me how I know )
Teflon tape on the threads is good, just get them good and tight.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
jaygrant1387
Recipes 

Thanks Guys im gonna work this weekend on getting the damn things apart. If i have to i think im gonna take it to a Airgas National Welders and see if they will just get it apart for me so i can put it back together. Ill let u know how that goes.