Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using hop bags.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #21
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I used to use a funnel with a strainer insert in it years ago. Both work equally well, but I find the bag to be easier to deal with. my funnel would clog if I had a lot of hops and I would have to stop, clean it out, and then start again.
I had the same experience with a funnel / filter.

And you really need to have the wort chilled before it gets to the funnel. I'm looking to keep the hops out of my chiller

Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #22
triethylborane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I used to use a funnel with a strainer insert in it years ago. Both work equally well, but I find the bag to be easier to deal with. my funnel would clog if I had a lot of hops and I would have to stop, clean it out, and then start again.

Same, as well. The pellets are the worst culprits of strainer clog and when I did my first batch, I had pellets and a fine mesh strainer. I was quite worried about sanitation due to the frequent strainer cleaning.