Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing Bottles in Oven

Old 07-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoltri View Post
Ah, if you are dunking your bottles in sanitizing solution no wonder you find it hard....get a vinator:

http://www.eckraus.com/WINEMAKING/Wi...e_1/BW215.html

1 or 2 pumps per bottle with starsan, done. My wife pumps it for me.
Very nice.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #22
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The advantage of the oven thing really comes in for those of us who are busy. I have a wife and a daughter to hang out with, a house to renovate, and a job that is demanding. The oven thing allowed me to spread out the time. Loading the oven Friday night takes maybe 5 minutes. Then I wake up early Saturday morning and could have everything bottled before everyone wakes up. So the sanitizing literally takes about 5 minutes for me.

If you are thinking about bottling all in one day, this technique is ridiculous. Who would sit and watch an over for an hour, then allow the bottles to cool. Actually time for my process is like 16 hours. By MY time investment is only about 5 minutes.

I keg almost everything now and just bottle out of kegs when I need to. This is how I did it while I was still bottling half my beer.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #23
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 69

It's a combination of heat and pressure that kills microorganisms. Ovens don't apply any pressure, which is why they have to go to a higher temperature. A pressure cooker can sterilize at lower temps than an oven, even if the items are not submerged, simply because they combine heat as well as pressure.

But for beer it's not necessary to "sterilize" -- sanitizing is plenty good enough.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #24
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Why not just use the sani-rinse option in the dishwasher? Always works for me.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #25
ThirdGen
Recipes 

I bottled using my starsan method this morning, and remembered why I wanted to try the oven pretty quickly...

The way I have to do it is mix the starsan in the sink, then submerge 6 bottles at a time, empty/fill/cap, then submerge another 6 bottles, etc. It takes quite a bit of time doing it this way, so from what others have said, it would actually be faster and easier to just stick them in my oven the night before.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #26
Captain Damage
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can sanitize all of your bottles in StarSan, then fill them. As long as they're not sitting out, uncovered for an extended period they'll be fine. I submerge 12 at a time in a bucket, empty and set them on my table, then do the next 12 till I have enough for my batch. I usually sanitize 9 six packs for a 5 gal batch and usually have a few bottles left over.

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #27
ThirdGen
Recipes 

Thanks, that would've made it a bit quicker. Always learning!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #28
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
The advantage of the oven thing really comes in for those of us who are busy.
This. I pretty much always oven sterilize. I just collect bottles, and whenever I have enough to fill my oven with (I can get 54 in), I rinse them out again (after having rinsed a bunch after drinking the beer that was in it), put foil around the top, and put them in the oven. Turn to 350, set the timer for 80 min (that gives enough time to heat the oven to 350 and bake for an hour). When the timer goes off I turn off the oven and leave them until the next morning. 7 min of work, tops.

Sometime, usually the next day, I take the bottles out and put them in milk crates. 5 min of work.

The good thing is that sterilized bottles with foil on top will stay sterilized almost indefinitely. This way I always have a bunch of bottles ready to go when bottling day comes (right now, e.g., I have about 5 crates of 12oz bottles and 3 of 22oz bottles that are good to go). One less thing to plan for and it fits well into my process.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #29
BigJefe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use the oven... oh man it is sooo back breaking... first the tearing of the foil and placing over the tops of the bottles... I mean, I almost have to take my eyes off the ballgame to get that done... Then that whole part of putting the bottles in the oven... good lord that must take me the better part of a commercial break...

Crank the hot box up to 350 grab beer from the fridge, sit back down, and 90 minutes later the hard part comes... TURNING OFF THE OVEN!!! holy smokes, turning the dial counter clockwise a half turn... Such a pain.

C'mon people oven is the way to go... I'll do it until I move on to kegging. I've even been in a hurry and placed a box fan on the oven door to suck the hot air out. Bottles were room temp in about an hour...

Sure it takes a little while, but if you are in a hurry to bottle you should have started sooner.

On Deck: Tongue Splitter

Primary: Air
Secondary: Air
Bottle Conditioning: (B10)BLACK hOPS: Geronimo IPA
Bottled and left to Rot: (B05)American Wheat
Drinking: (B07) Peace Coffee Stout, (B09) Apfelwein
Drinking, but running out: (B08) Winter Warmer

Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #30
McFugga
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJefe View Post
I use the oven... oh man it is sooo back breaking... first the tearing of the foil and placing over the tops of the bottles... I mean, I almost have to take my eyes off the ballgame to get that done... Then that whole part of putting the bottles in the oven... good lord that must take me the better part of a commercial break...

Crank the hot box up to 350 grab beer from the fridge, sit back down, and 90 minutes later the hard part comes... TURNING OFF THE OVEN!!! holy smokes, turning the dial counter clockwise a half turn... Such a pain.

C'mon people oven is the way to go... I'll do it until I move on to kegging. I've even been in a hurry and placed a box fan on the oven door to suck the hot air out. Bottles were room temp in about an hour...

Sure it takes a little while, but if you are in a hurry to bottle you should have started sooner.
I would be careful trying to cool your bottles quickly, that is where your going to strain the bottles and compromise the strength. And I would imagine that sterilizing your bottles this way fatigues them and perpetuates crack growth in the bottles faster than normal use. My advise is to raise and drop temperatures as slowly as possible.

Wiki page on Thermal Shock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_shock