Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Cherry Wheat

Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
ircmaxell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Extract - Cherry Wheat

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WYeast ACT3068
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.019
IBU: 9.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 6 days at 70*F
Additional Fermentation: 5 days at 70*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 70*F
Tasting Notes: Subtle cherry flavor. Very drinkable

Fermentables:
6 lbs Wheat LME
3 lbs Light DME

Hops:
German Tettnag 1.0 oz - 60 minutes

Yeast:
Weihenstephan Weizen Activator ACT3068

Other:
4.5 Lbs Fresh Sweet Cherries

Process:
Boil 3 gallons of water. Add malt extract, and bring back to a boil. At first bubble, add Tettnag hops. Boil for 60 minutes and cool. Add wort to the fermenter and top to about 5.5 gallons of water.

After 3 days, prepare the 4.5 lbs of cherries. Wash, pit and slice them in half. Place in a ziplock bag and freeze until ready for racking into secondary (at least 24 hours).

After 5-7 days, prepare for secondary fermentation. Place the frozen cherries in a muslin bag and add to a pot. Add enough water to cover the bag (about 1 inch or so over the cherries). Bring the water up to about 155*F to 165*F and pasteurize for about 30 minutes. Add cherries and water to secondary fermenter and rack primary on top.

Ferment in secondary for about 14 days. Then rack into a tertiary fermentation vessel for 3 to 7 days to clarify the beer. Add priming sugar and bottle.

Notes:

I initially formulated this recipe without the aid of a calculator (If I did use one, I would have lowered the gravity significantly as I didn't realize how high it was). However, after brewing this, the fermentables seem perfect (I guess you could call it a lucky mistake). The only thing I would change is the hop profile (Perhaps adding an aroma hop towards the end of the boil).

Brewing Notes:

The beer has a nice golden color with a hint of red. It's not particularly clear, but it's not cloudy either. The cherry flavor is very subtle with a hint of cherry flavor and a little tartness at the end. There are heavy notes of wheat, but not an overpowering amount. Overall, it has a nice balance and a great mouth feel.
northernltz Likes This 
Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
extexan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made many batch of cherry wheat when I lived in Colorado. I tried many varieties of cherries, and the ones that worked out the best for me were sour pie cherries. I found a grocery store that sold them in 8lb frozen ice cream tubs. They ran out, and could get now more, so I brew it no more. I even bought a Virgina cherry tree and planted it, but alas, it was a much sweeter cherry. I have switched to Raz wheat now...Sounds like your recipe was pretty good!
northernltz Likes This