kegerater from antique fridge - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > kegerater from antique fridge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Wilsons
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Princeton WV
Posts: 92
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Hello all,

I am looking into building a kegerator, probably no more then 2-3 taps. I would really like to build one from an older 56-60's fridge, like a kelvinator or something similiar but i have a couple reservations before i press forward so i was hoping to maybe find a couple of ya that have something similiar.

First of course is how reliable can these things be? I would be willing to put money into one to keep it running, but if im gonna have to rebuild it every six months with parts that are impossible to find then it might be better to rethink.

And of course, if anyone has any pics of something like this please pass em on!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Nova5
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Augusta, GA - Columbia, SC.
Posts: 674
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


Depending on size of the unit your going after you might be able to cannibalize a dorm fridge for the cooling components and keep the old school look with modernish tech.
__________________
TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Fritztheelephant
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Magnolia, Ohio
Posts: 222
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Here's mine. $10 off Craigslist. Runs like a champ...if anything it is too cold!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...032810_033.JPG

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Wilsons
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Princeton WV
Posts: 92
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritztheelephant View Post
Here's mine. $10 off Craigslist. Runs like a champ...if anything it is too cold!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...032810_033.JPG
Thats what im talking about, 10 dollars off craigslist was an amazing find! Unfortunetly noone in WV uses craigslist lol so the hunt is on.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
JetSmooth
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,875
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts


I have a 1952 Coldspot that will hold two ball lock cornies, three if you modify the door a little. Pics at the CL link below.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/app/1848845567.html

Needs a little paint/rust work and to be rewired (cord dryrotted). I sanded off the old paint and dealt with some rust before painting with rustoleum. I just don't have the time to do more and want to have a keezer with at least four kegs on tap.

But the thing is a beast! When we took it out of my wife's gradnsfather's house, it hadn't been unplugged in like twelve years. The freezer section was encased in ice. So it works.

But I am about seven hours away from you.
__________________
http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com - Brewin' and 'Quein' since last Tuesday.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Wilsons
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Princeton WV
Posts: 92
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
I have a 1952 Coldspot that will hold two ball lock cornies, three if you modify the door a little. Pics at the CL link below.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/app/1848845567.html

Needs a little paint/rust work and to be rewired (cord dryrotted). I sanded off the old paint and dealt with some rust before painting with rustoleum. I just don't have the time to do more and want to have a keezer with at least four kegs on tap.

But the thing is a beast! When we took it out of my wife's gradnsfather's house, it hadn't been unplugged in like twelve years. The freezer section was encased in ice. So it works.

But I am about seven hours away from you.
Well now that would be perfect lol, exactly what im loooking for minus the 7 hours away part lol!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
JetSmooth
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,875
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts


Well, if the CL ad doesn't move it and you feel like a drive, It'll be waiting here for you for a bit longer before going to the dump.

If I had a truck, I'd meet you part way. If you decide you want it, I might be able to work something out.

I hate to let it go. I always intended on restoring and turning it into a kegerator. But we have a six-month old and I don't see getting any free time for a project like that.
__________________
http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com - Brewin' and 'Quein' since last Tuesday.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Reason: spellnig

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Wilsons
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Princeton WV
Posts: 92
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Well, if the CL ad doesn't move it and you feel like a drive, It'll be waiting here for you for a bit longer before going to the dump.

If I had a truck, I'd meet you part way. If you decide you want it, I might be able to work something out.

I hate to let it go. I always intended on restoring and turning it into a kegerator. But we have a six-month old and I don't see getting any free time for a project like that.
Well, lets see if you get any takers from the CL ad so you can get rid of it easily, if it doesnt go let me know and we can work something out, that sound good?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
JetSmooth
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,875
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts


You got it.
__________________
http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com - Brewin' and 'Quein' since last Tuesday.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Stevesmirk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Cincinnati
Posts: 34

I found mine on craigslist by posting an ad that I was looking for an antique fridge for free or very cheap. Spent $20 on it.
Your concerns about reliability: the best thing to do is to turn it on and put a thermometer inside. While it is on, listen to the compressor to make sure it sounds normal. If it gets to temperature, you should be okay.
I took mine apart, and learned that the insulation in 1934 was corrugated cardboard, which harbored the old lady smell. I swapped that out for fiberglass, and it cools more efficiently now. The controller knob used to have to be on 11 of 12 to get cool enough, now it is set to 1.
I had to move the evaporator out of the way in order to fit 2 kegs. If you have to do that, be very careful not to create a leak and lose the refrigerant.
Here are some photos of before and after:





 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fridge Box - dressing up a regular size fridge turned kegerator kegtoe Kegerators & Keezers 1 11-24-2009 09:53 PM
wine fridge for beer fridge? mcwiehler Kegerators & Keezers 4 09-16-2009 02:14 AM
What Fridge should I get? brewjack Kegerators & Keezers 12 06-26-2009 07:58 PM
antique freezer potential for conversion (advanced) raleigh, NC nathan Kegerators & Keezers 5 04-22-2008 07:36 PM
Antique styled Icebox Kegerator Scalliwag Kegerators & Keezers 5 12-19-2006 01:12 PM


Forum Jump