Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > General Yeast Question

Old 07-20-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
Runyanka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default General Yeast Question

I recently brewed an IPA and needless to say I was disappointed. Basically for my brewing career I have been all over the board, brewing anything from IPA's to a berliner weissen. The IPA I brewed has the right amount of hoppyness needed but the sweetness just isn't there. I think this might be to the fact that I have been using dry yeast, which I think is drying out my beers to much. So I would be curious to find out if I were to use Wyeast 1056 vs. us-05, would I maintain some of the sweetness from the wort? I like my pale ales and wheat beers dry, but this IPA is lacking something. Would my cheap buying be causing the problem?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

Probably not. Can you supply the recipe, fermentation temps, and mash schedule (if you did all grain)?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I recently brewed an IPA and needless to say I was disappointed. Basically for my brewing career I have been all over the board, brewing anything from IPA's to a berliner weissen. The IPA I brewed has the right amount of hoppyness needed but the sweetness just isn't there. I think this might be to the fact that I have been using dry yeast, which I think is drying out my beers to much. So I would be curious to find out if I were to use Wyeast 1056 vs. us-05, would I maintain some of the sweetness from the wort? I like my pale ales and wheat beers dry, but this IPA is lacking something. Would my cheap buying be causing the problem?

I don't think you'll find a much lower attenuating yeast, liquid or dry, than us-05. Do you do all grain or extract? If you're mashing too low,you will get more fermentables and a drier beer. You can also up your grain bill for more body.

Reason: Edited for context.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
I don't think you'll find a much lower attenuating yeast that us-05, liquid or dry.
Huh? US-05 is generally considered a high-attenuating, clean yeast. I've had no problems with low attenuation with it.

Also, there is no such thing as liquid US-05. It's a dry yeast. There are other Chico strains sold in liquid form, but not US-05.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-20-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Huh? US-05 is generally considered a high-attenuating, clean yeast. I've had no problems with low attenuation with it.
It's just listed in Beersmith with an avg. attenuation of 70% while most other yeasts are 72-75%. I was just pointing out that if the OP was looking for a lower attenuating yeast, there aren't many choices, and using Safale US-05 probably wasn't the problem. I use it too, and like it.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3479 Times on 2376 Posts
Likes Given: 2269

All of my pale ales have a certain amount of crystal malt and I generally mash at medium body as well. Both of those will add a bit of sweetness and mouthfeel.

If you post your recipe, we can look and see what it needs. Or it could be your thermometer is off...