Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Caramel Stout?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
cbaron0185
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Caramel Stout?

Hey everyone,
I am looking to make a caramel stout and I have been looking high and low to find information on how to add caramel to the beer. I have looked over different recipes and malt combinations, but i cant seem to find anything that would work.

If you guys have any information, resources, or ideas I can look over it would be a huge help.

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

I would add some crystal/caramel 40-60 to get the caramel flavors you are after.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
cbaron0185
Recipes 

I was thinking of going that route but, I wasn't sure if it was going to make it more of a red ale flavor and take away from the stout.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
ArkhamAsylum
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Add a bottle of Hershey's Caramel Syrup to the boil. As a homebrewer, it is your sworn duty to experiment and report the results.
I once added a bottle of maple syrup to a nut brown. Delicious.

Note: Reading this post increases your BAC by 50%.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I agree with Arkham; add it and report back. Maybe do it on a smaller scale first and see what it tastes like.

I did use maple syrup in a batch once. It was in the boil (Tommyknocker clone) and, personally, it turned out nasty. Haven't made the batch again in almost 10 years.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
Masticon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I threw 1/2 lb of Crystal 120 into my stout. Should add some pretty strong caramel flavors.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
cbaron0185
Recipes 

Hey guys update on this one i was able to find a recipe for coffee stout. I will post the results in a few weeks.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:16 AM   #8
Babylon
Recipes 

I'd agree about adding caramel malt. Use a bunch of it and ou should get some nice caramelly beer.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
ArkhamAsylum
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To follow my own advice, here's my experiment and the results.
7# pale LME
1# dark LME
0.5# homemade caramel
1# caramel 120
0.5# caramel 80
0.25# roasted barley
0.25# black patent
0.75# chocolate malt
2 oz Kent-Goldings
London Ale Yeast

OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016

I went to the LHBS with this recipe, sans the roasted and black, and 0.25# chocolate malt. I opted to use primarily pale LME because it's cheap as hell when I buy it in bulk. The guru convinced me that I'd need to bump up the dark malts to get the color and body that are characteristic of a stout, with the final result being what you see above. I made about 1/2 pound of caramel using some random recipe I found online (except I didn't add butter, milk, or cream, as the whole purpose of making caramel was for the beer).

Fast-forward 3 weeks: It's kegged now, and it's an amazing stout. However, the dark malts are quite strong, and absolutely mask the delicate caramel/toffee flavors I was hoping to achieve. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with my original recipe (the 2 caramel malts and 0.25# chocolate) and not have worried about hitting an SRM above 40. A pound of lactose also would have helped achieve the desired results. The hops are barely noticable (as desired), and the yeast did pretty much what I wanted it to do. Also, I over-estimated my water usage, and ended up getting about a 5.5 gallon batch, hence the low gravity readings.

I have a somewhat peculiar habit of massaging my grains in a rinse bowl after steeping, so I can get a bit more color/body out of them. I feel that this greatly contributes to the thickness and mouthfeel of my dark beers, and really extracted a lot of color from the dark malts. If I'd have only rinsed the grains like most sane humans, the roasted/burnt flavors would not have been quite so pronounced, and my homemade caramel would have made more of an appearance.

Cheers!

Note: Reading this post increases your BAC by 50%.