Reverse Discrimination!!!! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Reverse Discrimination!!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Revere, MA, Massachusetts
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

So SWMBO had some family out from Michigan for New Year's and of course we made the rounds to many local watering holes in the Boston area while they were here. At EVERY such fine establishment the beer-drinking Michiganders (not those drinking cosmos and candy/vodka/shots) had to get into the "YOU DON'T HAVE BUD ON DRAFT?!?!??!?!" discussion with the bartenders. After the first few, I knew I had to steer them to my favorite Pubs where I knew they'd be foiled. Needless to say, there were lots of those artillery-like aluminum Bud can/bottles* on the tables by nights end. Sad, so sad. I thought the Midwest was BeerLand! I did not expect to see so much fear in their eyes when confronted with 12 ales and stouts on tap!!!!!!!

* Note: Maybe we should alert Bud to the iminent and extreme dangers of aluminum and beer!!!!! ...Or maybe not......

Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Plainfield, IL
Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts

I think it's an American problem more than a Midwest problem. You'd get the same reaction from my fellow Chicagolanders, but you'd be replacing 'Bud' with 'Miller'

Old 01-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yea, this is true. There are many, many places around here that are still BMC havens. Luckily, we've got lots of Micks and Macks around here to give us normal people places of beer refuge!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

BMC are the most popular beers in America for a reason. They're like McDonald's - you know what you're getting, it's safe, it's cheap, and it's ubiquitous. The flavor is bland because that is what's most appealing.

Many people fear flavors and are afraid of foods and drinks. How many people refuse to eat sushi because they're afraid of the food, even though billions of people eat it each day and don't get sick.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

+1 to cheesefood. You will find those people everywhere you go, it's not just midwesterners. Just depends on what types of places you ordinarily haunt.

I've seen people walk into fine brewpubs and order all sorts of whacky things and be surprised when they can't get it. Oh well, that just keeps those places less crowded for me.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

One of the brewpubs here, Calapoola, has "Something Lite" on tap, just for the BMC crowd. At Golden Valley, they get the Golden (oddly enough). Both of these are nice session ales.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Sep 2005
West Monroe, Louisiana
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

What part of Michigan are they from?

My ex-inlaws were from southwestern Michigan. One time I shot the wad to take them all out to the best German restaurant in Milwaukee and they all ordered American food. Go figure.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Lansing.

I gave them crash courses in what I'd consider real Italian food (North End, Boston) and kick-ass Indian food (Cambridge). Next time I'm out there I've got to hunt down some German food......the only place I always hear about is in Western Mass for German food. I think it's called The Student Prince and it is somewhere in or around Springfield.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
BMC are the most popular beers in America for a reason. They're like McDonald's - you know what you're getting, it's safe, it's cheap, and it's ubiquitous. The flavor is bland because that is what's most appealing.

Many people fear flavors and are afraid of foods and drinks. How many people refuse to eat sushi because they're afraid of the food, even though billions of people eat it each day and don't get sick.
Yup. I have a rather die-hard BMC drinking group of friends. They aren't afraid of my beer, but they never have more than a sip. Real beer flavor does not appeal to the masses.

I do want to brew a Czech pils recipe sometime soon and see if I can persuade a few of them to at least have a good lager.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
The flavor is bland because that is what's most appealing.