Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Has anybody here built a kit plane?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Selfsufficient
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Has anybody here built a kit plane?

Just a random thought as I sit here drinking some homebrew and longing for the skies. I'm on vacation and I am gonna check out a nearby business that helps homebuilders with space and tools. I wish the economy was better as I would not hesitate to buy an RV-7A. Not in the cards unless the lottery comes through. But I would love to hear some stories if they are out there.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
triethylborane
Recipes 

I have not built a kit plane, but I know several people who have. The only problem really with a kit plane is the testing phase. A lot of kit builders make the mistake and test it themselves. Obviously a mistake on that front, as either they have 100 hours or 1000 hours, but have only repeated the first 100 hours 10 times over. A tremendous lapse of judgment and an overriding vision of grandeur to test out a high-performance home-built civilian aircraft without a lot of experience with testing. I have a few buddies with thousands of hours TT and they will not touch a home-built plane out of fear. Everything has to be second nature and even then, spring-loaded to corrective controls may not work in a plane that has defects.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Ricand
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Bah, fixed wing? You gotta have an airport. Build this kit and just take off from your driveway.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skylrk_Jn.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	16495  

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife