Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Conical Vs Keg fermenter
View Poll Results: Conical Vs Keg Fermenter
Conical 33 62.26%
Keg 20 37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
nebben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

?? Are there really this many people using Sankes as fermenters here? I am surprised that I'm the only one that finds cleaning them to be a complete pain in the ass. Granted, I don't have a modified Sanke with a 4" opening like SankePankey does (I am jealous), but I've found it to be extraordinarily difficult. I have tried different tips on my carboy cleaning system to spray lower on the inverted keg (since it is inverted, it is adjusted to hit the shoulder of the keg as well as the bottom of the keg), and so far I've still got a stubborn krausen ring that isn't coming off with any amount of spraying. I use a caustic cleaner which usually dissolves everything that it comes into contact with, and although it works wonders for corny kegs and carboys, it hasn't been able to budge the crap on the sanke, even when left to spray for two days straight.

Until I can be convinced that cleaning a stock sanke fermenter with a standard opening is easy, my vote is for the conical.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
DaleP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The Brewhemoth is leak-tested at 100 psi, so its capable of pressurized fermentations, cabonatating, etc. Its made in the USA, and there are never issues whether the main body is not stolen from some brewery.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #13
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd like to bring this post back from the dead. I'm contemplating having our welder at work mod my Sanke fermented with a 6" Ztc, but the price of Stout Tanks makes me wonder if it's worth doing. I have never done pressurized fermenting, so not sure if that applies to me. I'll look into it. I'm curious about the path you took and how you like it?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
brewfarmDan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I got one of these listed as slight damage for around $380 delivered. Didn't see any notable damage and it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301511579311...1536&ext=28416

Old 04-09-2015, 04:24 AM   #15
Islandboy85
Recipes 

I don't always harvest yeast, but I do to step up for big beers. The biggest reason I'd want s conical is for the trub dump. Maybe I'll modify the keg, and can get the conical later on. The keg can be a lager tank or something.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:38 AM   #16
XXXBrewDude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Been using sankes for many years now. Rubber cap and canes. Works like a champ . Bottle brush for cleaning immediately after use with only water. Store upside down. On brew day I brush 1 more time. Then fill with iodophor/ water and sit while my kettle boils. I have 4 of them and never any infection.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #17
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXBrewDude View Post
Been using sankes for many years now. Rubber cap and canes. Works like a champ . Bottle brush for cleaning immediately after use with only water. Store upside down. On brew day I brush 1 more time. Then fill with iodophor/ water and sit while my kettle boils. I have 4 of them and never any infection.

I think part of the issue I have with mine is that it has a bunch of beer stone in it I can't seem to get out with PBW. I think that's part of the reason I had an infected batch. I don't think I was able to fully sanitize it.I figure I can use Scotchbrite to scuff burnout if I had a bigger hole to work with.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #18
XXXBrewDude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy85 View Post
I think part of the issue I have with mine is that it has a bunch of beer stone in it I can't seem to get out with PBW. I think that's part of the reason I had an infected batch. I don't think I was able to fully sanitize it.I figure I can use Scotchbrite to scuff burnout if I had a bigger hole to work with.
On initial clean, use a scotchbrite. Duct tape it to the end of a broom handle then use a flashlight to inspect