Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Getting a table top tilting Kettle for free.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Arneba28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Getting a table top tilting Kettle for free.

I am getting on of these for free through work. We ordered a new one and the old one still works. So I called dibs. Anyone know if home gas pressure will be enough to run this bad boy or would I need commercial gas pressure?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
ellijo89
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

that is sweet! very jealous! haha. Not sure the answer to your question but guessing someone will know it pretty soon... they always do.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
mvdilts
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First, congratulations! Second it looks like it might work but residential pressure is definitely on the low end of the specs.
My assessment above is based on the spec sheet (bottom of page 2) http://www.globeequipment.com/librar...and_KGT12T.pdf the kettle requires 3/4" piping with a minimum pressure of 4.5" W.C. (water column) and per wiki answers (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_re...l_gas_pressure) the residential gas pressure is 5-7" W.C.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1263 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I've got 7.5 W.C. in my house. I think you'll be fine if you can get that 3/4" requirement out to your brew location.
July 4th Sale, $20 off plate chillers through July 4th.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
ScottyBones
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

wow, nice score!
Peter: "Oh man, i'm going for the high score!"

Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
JadeMonkeyStang
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That thing is pretty awesome, you were extremely lucky to get your hands on it, especially for free! Make sure you post up some pics and let us know how it works once you get it all set up.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

well I am getting it tomorrow. Hopefully, after I check around a bit I can see how much it will be to have the line installed for it. If the line is too expensive I will end up taking this to the scrap yard and getting in the range of 200$-$300 for it. Then I just buy a larger kettle and a new burner. But I would love to have this hooked up and running by the late fall.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #8
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
well I am getting it tomorrow. Hopefully, after I check around a bit I can see how much it will be to have the line installed for it. If the line is too expensive I will end up taking this to the scrap yard and getting in the range of 200$-$300 for it. Then I just buy a larger kettle and a new burner. But I would love to have this hooked up and running by the late fall.
No way would I scrap it out.

Reason: I messed up

Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
No way would I scrap it out, sell it as the money made will buy you a complete brewery, think before you jump! Hell I would buy it if it weren't for the unknown shipping bill from the full right coast to full left coast.
I would ask around for a friend to pipe it in for you, contractor labor alone would be way over the top not counting materials. hell I have power threaders i'd do it if you were closer.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

You should have no problem getting it tied into your home gas piping and should have more than enough supply volume/pressure to run it. Any idea on where you'll be setting it up? Can you trace out your gas piping from the meter throughout the basment? Take a look for 1" or 3/4" piping and see where you have valves, unions, capped tees, ect. At worst case you should have a dirt leg at each piece of equipment that should consist of a valve, tee, stub of pipe below the tee and a cap on the stub. you could remove the cap, add another tee & valve to your kettle, then another stub below the tee and cap to recreate the dirt leg.

All else fails on my next trip to Buffalo we could discuss options over a few samples.

Or I'll trade you my 6 gallon electric one....