Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > Hello from Portland, OR

Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
MG_OR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hello from Portland, OR

Just saying hello after reading the forums for the past few days.

Been wanting to try homebrewing for a while now - roasting my own coffee for a long time now, homebrewing beer seems like a nice next step. Much more involved than roasting, so I am still trying to get all the background before taking the plunge (I'm also stalking craigslist to see if I can get a "starter setup" - currently unemployed means I am trying to get into it on the cheap).

Still not sure if it is viable for me since we have no temperature control in our house (it stays warm in the summer and cold in the winter), but our small cellar might work.

I'll update if I actually get started

Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
Whut
Mmmm, beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1690 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 8627

Greetings MG OR and welcome to the obsession. Given your employment status, look in to one of the Home Brew clubs in Portland. I find home brewers are generally a great bunch of people and some might even have you over to use their equipment to brew a batch.

Good luck and again, welcome!

Get off my lawn! - shecky
Shut up, old man!- SharonaZamboni

God, how'd you do that, Whut? - SharonaZamboni
Must be because he is God. - WildGingerBrewing

Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
Dunerunner
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Welcome to HBT! Ferment in the bathtub...most temperature stable place in the house! Unless you're showering with your fermenter!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

Old 07-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Basic brewing is simpler than roasting coffee and a cellar is a great place to ferment and store beer.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
MG_OR
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Basic brewing is simpler than roasting coffee and a cellar is a great place to ferment and store beer.
Given how quick and easy my coffee roasting setup is (it takes 15-20 minutes once a week with little to no supervision, just monitoring the smell/sounds) I can't imagine brewing to be simpler. Of course having a dedicated roaster makes it pretty easy.

I just put a thermometer down in the cellar to see what things are lie down there (its actually more of a hole dug into the ground where the wood furnace used to be).

And thanks for the welcomes

Old 07-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
spatman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

definitely keep checking craigslist. i've been seeing starter kits pop up every couple of weeks for cheap.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

CL in Portland is full of brewing stuff all the time. I ferment in my basement in SW PDX - pretty constant temperature year round.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
MG_OR
Recipes 

So I have found a guy selling off some of his homebrew stuff. He has a couple/few plastic fermenting buckets and airlocks, a big pot (~3 gal or so, which is much bigger than anything I have now), and a bunch of corny kegs.

From what he has said, it sounds like he shortened one of the draws for one corny keg so that he can do primary fermentation in that keg (shortening the draw so he doesn't get sludge perhaps?), and then transferring to a second keg after primary and then letting it come up to pressure in the second keg.

My question is - does this make sense, and will I be jumping in over my head going straight into keg fermenting? I have been collecting random parts for my keezer (and will be getting it finished before my first beer ever gets done).

Second, I have read about force carbing from the keezer/kegerator setup, but not knowing ALL that much about the homebrew process - is this necessary? And would I be force-carbing for primary or secondary?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you want to do full batch brewing you need a minimum of a 7.5 gallon pot IMHO. Anything less and you will have to be watching it very closely for boil overs, and they aren't any fun.

I would use the kegs for kegging and get buckets from primary and secondary, they are much easier to clean.