Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fruit Extract Causing Off-Flavor
Old 07-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Fruit Extract Causing Off-Flavor

So I'm fairly new to brewing (this was my fourth attempt) so I don't really have experience recognizing off-flavors. I recently made a darker beer and added some fruit extract (for 5 gallons I added about 3 tablespoons). The beer fermented fine, however there is a noticeable odd scent and flavor. The best way I can describe it is old rotten fruit. The beer isn't completely terrible, but it's by far the worst one so far. The extract itself smells fine by itself, but I was wondering if this off flavor definitely came from the extract, or if it could have come from another source.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 235 Times on 195 Posts

What fruit flavor? What kind of beer is it? How was the extract stored?

A lot of people taste a chemically/fake/metal taste with extract flavorings. I can taste it, but it doesn't repulse me (especially after the beer is a couple months old). However, that doesn't sound like what you have. It's possible you added too much or the extract was old/bad or any other possible explanation.