Help an idiot understand his water profile - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help an idiot understand his water profile

Old 07-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
944play
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts

Since you already have a pretty high Na and the Cl is unknown, I would not add table salt. 50% RO looks like a really good starting point. If your mash pH is on target, your RA is right. If your yeast floccs out well, you have enough Ca. If the beer tastes snappy and bright, your SO4:Cl2 is good.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
JuanMoore
Recipes 

Oct 2009
The Old Pueblo
Liked 3655 Times on 3479 Posts

One thing you should be aware of is that unlike most of the rest of the country the water profile here in Az changes quite a bit throughout the year. These changes can be pretty drastic during the monsoon season. They also vary quite a bit within the system depending on which well/wells you're closest to. The values you have are most likely an annual average for the whole system and should be used with that in mind. FWIW I buy RO water and build it up July through September.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 271 Times on 208 Posts

The values I was given were from april testing, they sent me the test results for about a years worth of tests, all fairly close, Maricopa is on its own well system, and tests each seperately, they sent me the info on the well that my street is on, they called me to get my address so I would recieve the right information. they did state that the published water info available on their website is an average of all the wells.

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

Old 07-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
Mateo
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Cooper City, Florida
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Juan,

I heard Monsoon Season was extinct!

m.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 271 Times on 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Juan,

I heard Monsoon Season was extinct!

m.
Yeah, the humidity goes through the roof, but it never rains anymore, maybe thats why my water numbers seemed not to vary much since last year.

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

Old 07-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #16
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Long Island
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
So I played with the ez water calc. and if I take my tap water,with my mash and sparge volumes plugged in, cut it 50% with RO and add 3 grams non-iodized salt to the mash it puts my RA on target for my pale ale, and gives me a style profile on the bottom end of balanced, since I mash at 154 and it is 48 IBU, this should be a decent place to start? thats it? just play with additions and see where it puts the range? I guess in time the knowledge of what does what becomes second nature, like looking at a recipe and knowing what it should taste like?
Like 944play said, you've already got a whole bunch of sodium in there. Adding 3g non-iodized salt is going to increase the sodium even more, but won't change the RA one iota.
I agree that adding NaCl will increase the chloride concentration, but so would CaCl2, without the risk of overdosing on sodium.
As for achieving a "balanced" Cl to S04 ratio, this depends on the type of beer you are brewing. A "balanced" pale ale would be described as "bitter" or "very bitter" in the EZ spreadsheet.
I'm not saying that the EZ spreadsheet is wrong, just that the definition of "balanced" depends on the type of beer that you are brewing.

-a.