Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Simple Hefeweizen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #221
nymtber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NO
Posts: 124
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


So I pitched yeast today at 12:30pm, and I get home at midnight, not the big mess everyone posts? Then again, my Kolsch was the same way, everyone says get ready for blow off, I get just a lil krausen.

Of course, it was only 12 hours. I know another 12 hours could mean insanity...dry yeast is like that for me, no activity for 18 hours or so then poof 6gal carboy is full.

Now to order ingredients/kit for a good American Stout...
nymtber is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #222
3sheetsEMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 196
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by nymtber
So I pitched yeast today at 12:30pm, and I get home at midnight, not the big mess everyone posts? Then again, my Kolsch was the same way, everyone says get ready for blow off, I get just a lil krausen.

Of course, it was only 12 hours. I know another 12 hours could mean insanity...dry yeast is like that for me, no activity for 18 hours or so then poof 6gal carboy is full.

Now to order ingredients/kit for a good American Stout...
Give it 18 hours...
3sheetsEMJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #223
nymtber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NO
Posts: 124
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ View Post
Give it 18 hours...
I retract my previous statement. 24 hours later, its bubbling like MAD in the blow off bottle, and the krausen is nearing the neck of the carboy fast!

Fermentation has been the neatest thing about homebrewing for me. I love watching it (for a few moments here and there anyway). It is also the one part of brewing I have gotten decent at, learned a lot along the way! Only about 6/7 batches into homebrewing, but I have learned a lot in those...The first batch was even pretty good and got many rave reviews from family/friends. One batch has gone ick, and I know why (some idiot pitched s-04 at 85degrees...because he was in a hurry...)
nymtber is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #224
MicahB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Logan
Posts: 71
Likes Given: 1

Default


I brewed this last weekend, and it has been fermenting in the primary for a week now but I'd like to add some canned apricot with it in the secondary. The ingredients on the canned apricots are: "Apricots, water, corn syrup, sugar."
Can I just heat the can, puree the apricots and funnel them in the secondary? Also, does two 15 oz cans sound like too much?
MicahB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #225
Knecht_Rupprecht
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Needham
Posts: 91
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahB
I brewed this last weekend, and it has been fermenting in the primary for a week now but I'd like to add some canned apricot with it in the secondary. The ingredients on the canned apricots are: "Apricots, water, corn syrup, sugar."
Can I just heat the can, puree the apricots and funnel them in the secondary? Also, does two 15 oz cans sound like too much?
Flavor wise no, but I imagine that is a lot of extra sugars to throw in. Can you find frozen apricots that aren't sitting in corn syrup?
Knecht_Rupprecht is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #226
nghtmre4u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 316
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Doing this tonight
__________________
On Tap: Edwort's Hause Ale, Circle City Haus Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Wheat, Centennial Blonde
Fermenting: Rat Dawg Pale Ale, American Lager, Jamils Blonde
On Deck: Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit
nghtmre4u is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #227
willthegoth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Just to say this was The best resulting brew I've done so far. Thanks for the recipe, it tastes great.
willthegoth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #228
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 2,264
Liked 256 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default


Any ideas on how to do this with All grain? I made an extract batch of this that came out good, and a friend ones some more so i was going to try to make him this with AG.

Or a similar recipe thats AG?
FuzzeWuzze is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #229
loubie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 29
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and I've learned a lot already reading everything I can about brewing. My first official brew was this Simple Hefeweizen. I cracked open my first bottle today (7 days old). WOW! Very nice! Smooth, flavorful, very little bitter aftertaste. Just like everyone else has said- I will definitely be brewing this one again! I think I need to give it more time in the bottle to increase the carbonation. It was real bubbly but then flattened before I finished it. Thanks for the great recipe! What a nice start to my brewing experience. Next up is the Belgian Tripel!
loubie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #230
ncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Bern
Posts: 1,188
Liked 90 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by loubie View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and I've learned a lot already reading everything I can about brewing. My first official brew was this Simple Hefeweizen. I cracked open my first bottle today (7 days old). WOW! Very nice! Smooth, flavorful, very little bitter aftertaste. Just like everyone else has said- I will definitely be brewing this one again! I think I need to give it more time in the bottle to increase the carbonation. It was real bubbly but then flattened before I finished it. Thanks for the great recipe! What a nice start to my brewing experience. Next up is the Belgian Tripel!
Welcome to HBT - and congrats.
ncbrewer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Hefeweizen Baron von BeeGee Wheat and Rye Beer 15 01-27-2011 04:06 AM
All-Grain - Meathead Hefeweizen mhot55 Wheat and Rye Beer 0 08-07-2009 01:39 AM
Rye hefeweizen Ryanh1801 Wheat and Rye Beer 5 07-13-2009 03:14 AM
All-Grain - Klaiberhaus Hefeweizen ohiobrewtus Wheat and Rye Beer 2 07-08-2008 05:18 PM
Laubmeister Hefeweizen Ó Flannagáin Wheat and Rye Beer 0 10-30-2007 03:54 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS