Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Simple Hefeweizen

Old 09-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #221
nymtber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I pitched yeast today at 12:30pm, and I get home at midnight, not the big mess everyone posts? Then again, my Kolsch was the same way, everyone says get ready for blow off, I get just a lil krausen.

Of course, it was only 12 hours. I know another 12 hours could mean insanity...dry yeast is like that for me, no activity for 18 hours or so then poof 6gal carboy is full.

Now to order ingredients/kit for a good American Stout...

Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #222
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymtber
So I pitched yeast today at 12:30pm, and I get home at midnight, not the big mess everyone posts? Then again, my Kolsch was the same way, everyone says get ready for blow off, I get just a lil krausen.

Of course, it was only 12 hours. I know another 12 hours could mean insanity...dry yeast is like that for me, no activity for 18 hours or so then poof 6gal carboy is full.

Now to order ingredients/kit for a good American Stout...
Give it 18 hours...

Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #223
nymtber
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ View Post
Give it 18 hours...
I retract my previous statement. 24 hours later, its bubbling like MAD in the blow off bottle, and the krausen is nearing the neck of the carboy fast!

Fermentation has been the neatest thing about homebrewing for me. I love watching it (for a few moments here and there anyway). It is also the one part of brewing I have gotten decent at, learned a lot along the way! Only about 6/7 batches into homebrewing, but I have learned a lot in those...The first batch was even pretty good and got many rave reviews from family/friends. One batch has gone ick, and I know why (some idiot pitched s-04 at 85degrees...because he was in a hurry...)

Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #224
MicahB
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed this last weekend, and it has been fermenting in the primary for a week now but I'd like to add some canned apricot with it in the secondary. The ingredients on the canned apricots are: "Apricots, water, corn syrup, sugar."
Can I just heat the can, puree the apricots and funnel them in the secondary? Also, does two 15 oz cans sound like too much?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #225
Knecht_Rupprecht
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahB
I brewed this last weekend, and it has been fermenting in the primary for a week now but I'd like to add some canned apricot with it in the secondary. The ingredients on the canned apricots are: "Apricots, water, corn syrup, sugar."
Can I just heat the can, puree the apricots and funnel them in the secondary? Also, does two 15 oz cans sound like too much?
Flavor wise no, but I imagine that is a lot of extra sugars to throw in. Can you find frozen apricots that aren't sitting in corn syrup?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #226
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Doing this tonight

Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #227
willthegoth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just to say this was The best resulting brew I've done so far. Thanks for the recipe, it tastes great.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #228
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Any ideas on how to do this with All grain? I made an extract batch of this that came out good, and a friend ones some more so i was going to try to make him this with AG.

Or a similar recipe thats AG?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #229
loubie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and I've learned a lot already reading everything I can about brewing. My first official brew was this Simple Hefeweizen. I cracked open my first bottle today (7 days old). WOW! Very nice! Smooth, flavorful, very little bitter aftertaste. Just like everyone else has said- I will definitely be brewing this one again! I think I need to give it more time in the bottle to increase the carbonation. It was real bubbly but then flattened before I finished it. Thanks for the great recipe! What a nice start to my brewing experience. Next up is the Belgian Tripel!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #230
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubie View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and I've learned a lot already reading everything I can about brewing. My first official brew was this Simple Hefeweizen. I cracked open my first bottle today (7 days old). WOW! Very nice! Smooth, flavorful, very little bitter aftertaste. Just like everyone else has said- I will definitely be brewing this one again! I think I need to give it more time in the bottle to increase the carbonation. It was real bubbly but then flattened before I finished it. Thanks for the great recipe! What a nice start to my brewing experience. Next up is the Belgian Tripel!
Welcome to HBT - and congrats.