Weissbier Simple Hefeweizen - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Weissbier Simple Hefeweizen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
thornton33
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Laklenad, FL
Posts: 41

Well, If I hadn't already purchased the grains I would've given the 50/50 C20 and Carahells a try. As it is, do you think the grains/ratios I've mentioned will produce a similar brew to your recipe? How do you suppose they would differ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #12
HOOTER
 
HOOTER's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,653
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton33 View Post
Well, If I hadn't already purchased the grains I would've given the 50/50 C20 and Carahells a try. As it is, do you think the grains/ratios I've mentioned will produce a similar brew to your recipe? How do you suppose they would differ?
I think 4 oz. of C20 will produce a similar outcome and the carapils will give you a nice thick head and good lacing. Certainly not a bad thing in a Hefe. Lots of folks don't use steeping grains in extract Hefe's at all but I like the added color/flavor and foam stability. I think your choice of grains will make a solid brew.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Lots of stuff
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
cd38
 
cd38's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Dallas,Texas
Posts: 216
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Just got back from homebrew shop, with ingredients you used. Gonna brew it this week sometime cant wait, I will let you know how it goes

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #14
Valcarde
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Ontario
Posts: 159

A quick question.

Full boil recommended. If being forced to use a smaller boil kettle (14 liters at best, with 12 liters being 3 gallons) do I just boil the full DME in the 3 gallons of water, hop it up, etc, and add 2 gallons of water, or literally split the ingredients in half and do two 2.5 gallon boils?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
HOOTER
 
HOOTER's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,653
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcarde View Post
A quick question.

Full boil recommended. If being forced to use a smaller boil kettle (14 liters at best, with 12 liters being 3 gallons) do I just boil the full DME in the 3 gallons of water, hop it up, etc, and add 2 gallons of water, or literally split the ingredients in half and do two 2.5 gallon boils?
I'd probably just add 1 lb. of extract at the beginning of the boil and the rest with 5-10 minutes remaining. You can top off the fermenter with the remaining water to get to 5 gallons.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Lots of stuff
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #16
david_the_greek
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Posts: 245
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Shoot, I had some nice grains that I was going to steep with my hefe I should have made a few weeks ago! I'm finally am getting around to it and am going to just toss what I got out :-(. I guess I'll just have to go with the extracts this time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
elproducto
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Ontario
Posts: 1,117
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


Thanks, this recipe sounds great for a newbie like me!

Anyone got pictures of it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
thornton33
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Laklenad, FL
Posts: 41

So my OG was 1.044 and FG wound up being 1.012-1.013 (target FG was 1.010). Is this going to drastically affect my brew? Also, it came out quite a bit darker than your picture because I did a 2 gallon boil and I didn't do the late addition extract. My ferm temp was about 70 (at your suggestion). When I tasted the residual in the bottling bucket it seemed like sweet banana. I wasn't getting much clove, but it was close to room temp. Thoughts, suggestions for future Hefe's?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #19
HOOTER
 
HOOTER's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,653
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton33 View Post
So my OG was 1.044 and FG wound up being 1.012-1.013 (target FG was 1.010). Is this going to drastically affect my brew? Also, it came out quite a bit darker than your picture because I did a 2 gallon boil and I didn't do the late addition extract. My ferm temp was about 70 (at your suggestion). When I tasted the residual in the bottling bucket it seemed like sweet banana. I wasn't getting much clove, but it was close to room temp. Thoughts, suggestions for future Hefe's?
Your gravity is pretty much spot on. A point or two here and there really won't make much of a difference. The darker color is standard for partial boils, although the late addition would have helped a bit. No worries, it should end up being a very drinkable beer. Let me know how it is after a few weeks in the bottle and a nice chill down in the refer.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Lots of stuff
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
txcoyote2
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
79339
Posts: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOTER View Post
Not sure about the blackberries. Not really my thing although I'm all for experimenting. Maybe someone with more experience brewing with fruit can comment.

Authenticity aside, bittering hops are not crucial as long as you get around the right AA%. I've brewed this with crystal 10L and Mt. Hood hops and the outcome was pretty much the same. I just prefer to use German ingredients for authenticity sake.
I went ahead and made a batch with the Saaz hops I had on hand. I racked it over six pounds of blackberries last week. The full five gallons didn't fit in my fermenter with the berries, so I bottled a six-pack. There was about a half bottle left over, and I don't like to bottle partials, so I had to drink it. Bummer, I know. The hefe's great, and I'll likely make it again without the blackberries. After I bottle the part that's with the blackberries, I'll let you know how it turns out. I have high hopes.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hefeweizen Recipe - Looking for Delicious & Simple Jiffster All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 27 02-14-2016 11:36 PM
Hefeweizen - Simple Water Profile beershere All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 06-12-2015 02:42 PM
Simple Hefeweizen with Banana wilmbrewer Extract Brewing 20 02-08-2013 03:21 PM
Spicing up a simple hefeweizen RachmaelBenApplebaum Extract Brewing 11 12-11-2012 11:15 AM
Simple Hefeweizen fezzersc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 28 03-03-2011 12:33 AM


Forum Jump