Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Carbonation Differences Kegging, bottle condition, etc...

Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Carbonation Differences Kegging, bottle condition, etc...

I have noticed that with my force carbed beers I have larger, more aggressive bubbles. With my lower gravity bottle conditioned beers, I also have somewhat large bubbles. With my 1.070 or larger, big beers that I bottle condition for a very long time, I get this amazing, dense, silky, fine carbonation and amazing head on the beers as a result of the fine carbonation.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a small amount of fermentable maltose left in these large beers that contributes to the different carbonation..?

I would like to be able to replicate this fine, silky, carbonation in keg beer...not sure how.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you conditioned one of the larger beers for a long time in a keg, or is tying a keg up out of the question for longer periods (how long are you talking by the way)?

If you haven't, I'm wondering whether it's an ingredient difference in the big beers that makes the difference, or just the higher gravity itself, changing the proteins etc.

I'll stay tuned in to see what other folks think.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I have noticed that with my force carbed beers I have larger, more aggressive bubbles. With my lower gravity bottle conditioned beers, I also have somewhat large bubbles. With my 1.070 or larger, big beers that I bottle condition for a very long time, I get this amazing, dense, silky, fine carbonation and amazing head on the beers as a result of the fine carbonation.
The difference is time. Let the force carbed beer sit for as long as you're letting them sit in the bottle and see how it turns out.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
permo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am hoping the difference it just time, there is just something about big beers that get's a different carbonation level in a bottle. Not sure why.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 45

There's also a difference in the quality of carbonation if you're using corn sugar or DME to prime the bottled beers. I find with DME you get the finer beads of CO2 than with the corn sugar.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6216 Times on 4428 Posts
Likes Given: 1665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
The difference is time. Let the force carbed beer sit for as long as you're letting them sit in the bottle and see how it turns out.
Yes, with time the bubbles will get finer and "creamier".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcollins View Post
There's also a difference in the quality of carbonation if you're using corn sugar or DME to prime the bottled beers. I find with DME you get the finer beads of CO2 than with the corn sugar.
Not that I've ever noticed. I would challenge you to have two identical beers, one primed with DME and one with corn sugar, and tell them apart. Again, I believe it's time.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1340 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 35

^what she said.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

What you may get with the DME primed beer is a slight bit more malitness. I know I prime with DME when I feel my post-fermented brews need to recoup a little maltiness. But never noticed any bubble quality difference.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts

It has to do with the fine particles in suspension. Younger beer has more stuff still floating and the bubbles will be bigger. If you give the beer time for all those fine particles to settle out you will get a nice creamy head.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

i find if i dryhop in primary or secondary....
i get better aroma from bottle conditioned beers verus forced carb in a keg. maybe its because some gets blown off when purging the keg, than releasing the 30psi after 24hours? or it could be all in head and not a difference