What is this infected with and can I turn it into something worth drinking?? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > What is this infected with and can I turn it into something worth drinking??

Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #21
Jan 2009
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This looks similar to whats in my cider now. I used apple juice and wild yeast from fresh-picked, unwashed berries. It appeared as soon as active fermentation slowed down. Im hoping its either Brett or malo-lactic fermentation.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #22
Jul 2009
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am just going to hold onto them for now and do periodic tasting to see what kind of funky juice will come out if this in the end!!!
Primary 1:Golden Shower APA
Primary 2: Dry Stout (5gal)
Bottled:Stone Epic 09.09.09 Clone,Eclipse Stout (11 gal),Bitter Blond, Belgian Dubbel #2, SNC IIPA (So Not a Clone IIPA), Imperial Pale Ale
Keg 1 Golden Shower APA
Keg 2: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone
Keg 3: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone
Keg 4: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone
Keg 5: Citra Pale Ale
Keg 6: Export Stout
Keg 7: Export Stout
Keg 8: Faux Blonde
Keg 9: Empty
Keg 10 (3gal): Empty
On Deck:

Old 07-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #23
Apr 2010
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had a pellicle like this form on top of a roggenbier while it was in the primary. I pasteurized the beer by heating it covered to 160F, holding for 20 min, and letting it cool. The pellicle didn't come back and I bottled it. Not going to touch it for months, and I'm hoping the smell gets better.
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth."

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #24
Aug 2009
southern IN
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I had an infection like that. It showed up in the primary and tasted fine so I went ahead an bottled. The pellicle reappeared in the bottles and eventually became evident/bad in the taste. I pitched all the bottles 7 months after bottling when one exploded.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #25
May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 491 Times on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Pivzavod View Post
Its not Brett, its some wild bacteria that got into your equipment or possibly mutated yeast.

Here is a pic of what I've had in the past:

Here is what someone else had:

I just kegged a batch of a Saison and had similar stuff on top of it. This is why I think it might be coming from yeast. Mine was washed and previous batches had similar growth but did not cause any problems to the flavor of the beer.
Hey I recognize that infection...that's from my fermenter!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #26
Mar 2009
California, Pennsylvania
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

You have 3 choices, I will list them in order of effectivness, and hassel.

choice #1-100% effective. Dump, cry, start over.

choice #2-Buy some...gasp... Potasium or sodium metabisulfite... used in wine making to sanitize raw fruit of wild yeast & bacteria. Follow directions. I'll say 97% effective if its wild yeast or bacteria, 75% if its mold. It doesnt look like a fungi though.

Choice #3-99% see below, and look up pasturization.

Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
... I pasteurized the beer by heating it covered to 160F, holding for 20 min, and letting it cool. ...

You knuckleheadz are my kinda smacktardZ
#3 DONT be a Brewdouche.
Comprehensive Beer Podcast list.
The Brewing Network