Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Did I just screw up my Brett? (well kind of anyway)

Old 07-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Did I just screw up my Brett? (well kind of anyway)

I brewed a brett almost exactly 1 year ago and let it sit in the primary fermenter for that period pretty much untouched. I decided it was time to bottle which I did this weekend. I siphoned off the beer into my bottling bucket leaving the sediment and the growth on top undisturbed. I added priming sugar and bottled.

My question is since it was so settled out from sitting for a year will there be enough yeast in the beer to carbonate? I figure most of the yeast was settled at the bottom and not in the beer. I know I could dump each bottle (52) back into the bottling bucket and add yeast but that would be a MAJOR pain. I plan on letting them sit for another year so do you think the trace ammounts of yeast will grow over that period and carbonate the beer?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I doubt like hell it will ever carbonate if it does you're looking at a long time though.

Best bet, get some slurry from a batch you have just fermented add a little boiled/cooled water then put it into a syringe ( like they use for injecting flavor into turkeys etc)

A few drops of that slurry should be fine.

Some might suggest a few granules of dried yeast but I cant even begin to imagine how ponderous that would be.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post
I doubt like hell it will ever carbonate if it does you're looking at a long time though.

Best bet, get some slurry from a batch you have just fermented add a little boiled/cooled water then put it into a syringe ( like they use for injecting flavor into turkeys etc)

A few drops of that slurry should be fine.

Some might suggest a few granules of dried yeast but I cant even begin to imagine how ponderous that would be.
Thanks! That is a better alternative to emptying each bottle, just uncap and cap again (remembering yeast this time). I may wait a week or two and just see if anything happens to them.

Unfortunately I already dumped what was left since I am not sure I want to go through such a long ordeal again for a beer I may not like anyway. I won't try another Brett again until this one is done and I decide if I like it. $10 is an easier way to go that saving for such a long time.

....and I have a Brett L ready to bottle next month made with blueberries. I won't screw that one up!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

was this an all brett beer? if it was you dont really need to wait that long, brett as a primary strain acts very similar to sacch and will finish out within a couple weeks usually

my all brett beers are typically kegged within a month, chilled and drank

wild beers that include pedio/etc require longer periods because the bugs will slowly eat dextrins and other things in the beer that sacch/brett wont on their own

Old 07-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
was this an all brett beer? if it was you dont really need to wait that long, brett as a primary strain acts very similar to sacch and will finish out within a couple weeks usually

my all brett beers are typically kegged within a month, chilled and drank

wild beers that include pedio/etc require longer periods because the bugs will slowly eat dextrins and other things in the beer that sacch/brett wont on their own
It was this: Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Activator Wyeast 5112 and only that.

I have to admit, I am new to these types of brews and should have done more research before trying them.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
jgln
Recipes 

I want to bump this to get confirmation I let this sit too long. I guess I don't understand. If I had used something ELSE with the Brett B. THEN I would have had to age longer than a month?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I think you should wait it out, year old Lambic is blended into a gueuze to provide carbonation, there is a good chance the Brett is still active. If not you can always wait and reyeast if there is no carbonation in 3-4 weeks, it doesn't sound like you are in much of a hurry.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I think you should wait it out, year old Lambic is blended into a gueuze to provide carbonation, there is a good chance the Brett is still active. If not you can always wait and reyeast if there is no carbonation in 3-4 weeks, it doesn't sound like you are in much of a hurry.
Thanks, that is what I am going to do. If after a few weeks there is a hink of carbonation I am going to let them sit for at least another few months and try again.

I am still confused by what Ryane said though.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

I believe what Ryane is referring to is if you brew a beer with Brett as your primary yeast with the absence of a sacc. strain. Then Brett will act very much like a sacc. yeast and ferment your beer within a couple weeks. Therefore no need to really age for a year.
But if you use Brett in conjunction with a sacc yeast then the sacc yeast will dominate and then Brett will take a long time to grow and eat due to the low amount of remaining sugars.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
I believe what Ryane is referring to is if you brew a beer with Brett as your primary yeast with the absence of a sacc. strain. Then Brett will act very much like a sacc. yeast and ferment your beer within a couple weeks. Therefore no need to really age for a year.
But if you use Brett in conjunction with a sacc yeast then the sacc yeast will dominate and then Brett will take a long time to grow and eat due to the low amount of remaining sugars.
Ok understood, thanks!