Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is this an appropriate regulator?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Scuba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is this an appropriate regulator?

I want to add another secondary regulator to my keg setup which currently is a dual gauge. A friend offered to sell me one but I'm not sure if it is a correct regulator. The label on the main housing reads "200PSI (1.38Mpa)". Any idea if that is appropriate for kegging and can handle the load of a 10# CO2 charge?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Can't tell from what you've posted, but secondary regulators typically have maximum input pressures of 150-200 psi, so there's a good chance. Another clue: secondary regulators almost always have right-hand threads on all four ports and are feed from the primary regulator.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Scuba
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply David. The regulator definitely fits. I guess my question really is whether the 200 psi/1.38Mpa sufficient for kegging or do I need something a bit higher then that? I can just picture hooking it up, turning on the main gas and blowing the guts out of the secondary. What other information would you need?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

As long as you are hooking the input of the secondary to the low pressure outlet of a primary regulator you should not have a problem. You can not hook the secondary to the high pressure side of a primary (where the high pressure gauge is) because that would be full bottle pressure.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Scuba
Recipes 

Well, I guess I'm still a little confused, so I am posting the picture of my setup (or link to it if the pic doesn't come through). The one on the right is what I have hooked to my tank. The one on the left is exactly what I can get to add as a secondary. So, how to correctly hook them together...

http://s749.photobucket.com/albums/x...G.jpg&newest=1

Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
camiller
Recipes 

From what I can tell from the little tiny picture and your previous comments that is truly a secondary regulator. To use it you will need to connect to the line coming out of the bottom of your primary regulator to ensure you never exceed the 200PSI input (A CO2 tank can get up above 1700PSI in a warm garage and will be above 500 even in your fridge)

Typically what you will want to do is put a Wye adapter in place of your existing output valve, and put the output valve on one branch of the Wye. On the other branch put an appropriate fitting (MFL or hosebarb, etc.) and run a hose to the input of your secondary. In this configuration the secondary can never be at a higher pressure than the primary but you can dispense at two pressures, the connection off the primary always being the higher of the two.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Here's my setup:

The primary regulator is connected to the tank and is set at 35 psi. This feeds two secondary regulators and a line that goes to the soda water keg (below the pair of secondaries). As installed, I keep one secondary around 12 psi and the other is about 2 psi. I use the latter for "real" ales, and still wines/ciders.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Scuba
Recipes 

OK, this is starting to make a little more sense. I guess my next question is what is it about the three gauge regulators like this (http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=128) that allow them to effectively be daisy chained together as opposed to what I want to do?

Thanks for the help thus far!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
Scuba
Recipes 

OK, this is starting to make a little more sense. I guess my next question is what is it about the three gauge regulators like this (http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=128) that allow them to effectively be daisy chained together as opposed to what I want to do?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
camiller
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post

Those are dual Primaries. Everything on the horizontal line is high pressure which allows the high pressure gauge at the end to work. You could split those apart and connect either to a tank.