Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Long Lag Time Creates DMS?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
KMOX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Long Lag Time Creates DMS?

I've read something to this effect in a couple different sources, but I want to confirm that one of the hazards of a long lag time is a serious DMS problem.

To point: I had a chocolate rye brown ale into which I re-pitched some 1056 that had been sitting in a quart jar under beer for about a month. No starter.

(I had not used a starter because my original starter just didn't smell right, so I went with the emergency plan).

I had also let the wort cool from about 70 to about 60 overnight in my fermenter fridge before pitching. And, because I was in a hurry the next morning before work, I didn't aerate.

Soooo...yeah...there are all my sins.

Needless to say, I had about three days before I had any visible signs of fermentation, and the fermentation was fairly wimpy, producing little krausen.

The finished beer has that wonderful overwhelming rotten cabbage/corn flavor (in addition to overpowering tannins from too much chocolate rye and roasted barley in the recipe).

Does this experience jive with others' experience? Will cold storage mitigate the problem over time? Have I learned my lesson and will always keep a package of Nottingham on hand?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dimethyl Sulfide

Description: Tastes and smells of cooked vegetables/corn/cabbage or shellfish/seafood. Is acceptable in light lagers to a degree.

Cause: Bacterial infection can cause DMS, as well as covering up your brewpot during the boil. DMS is removed from the wort during the boil, so covering it up is obviously going to cause the DMS-laced condensation to fall back into your brewpot.

Remedy: Keep good sanitation procedures, and make sure to keep a rolling, uncovered boil when brewing. Do not cover your brewpot during the boil!

Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
KMOX
Recipes 

Well, a long lag time would allow for a bacterial infection, I suppose.

I've just read in a couple of places that DMS can result from long lag times. I'm wondering if the other poor fermentation practices (on my part - I can't blame the yeast) contributed.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts

Well, I wouldn't agree with the long lag time being the cause.

If it were then it would happen to a lot of people who don't make starters.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
KMOX
Recipes 

I'm thinking of John Palmer's note in How to Brew that diacetyl can result from long lag times...

...in this case, I'm starting to think that the DMS flavor is a bacterial infection that's hiding behind the astringent dark malts. I'm thinking the bacteria were able to get a foothold because the yeast got such a slow start.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Brewham
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've also read it can be caused by covering up your brewpot and not letting the DMS boil off. Did you?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
KMOX
Recipes 

No, nor did the recipe have any pilsner malt.

I just noticed last night that in The Homebrewer's Companion, Papazian also attributes the cooked vegetable flavor to long lag times.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

I have never seen any mention of DMS occuring due to long lag times, nor do I recall Palmer saying that. I've quoted info on dms for brewers and NEVER noticed anything about lag, just covering and bacterial. I could have missed something, but I don't think so. I've never come upon any issues with long lag times in yeasts. Long lagtimes are a natural occurance with some yeasts. Hence the sticky we have about yeast taking up to 72 hours to start.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is what I know about lag time and DMS.

It has to do with boiling your wort and chilling your wort. At 210F its boiling out of solution, DMS seems to form in quantity between 140F and 210F. The trick is to crash chill as fast as possible to minimize DMS. I read somewhere that once you are below 140F you are OK. So if you are below 140F then the lag issue from 140F to 76F is mainly a concern about contamination. Pitch good and you are OK if its not too long of a time.

Another tidbit about DMS, is with pilsner malt. It usually has a higher potential to form DMS, so longer boils are better for pilsners, 90-120 minutes, more so important since they may be light in taste.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

DMS can also occur while you're cooling your beer, even if your wort isn't covered. DMS requires heat to be produced (besides bacterial infection of course) and there is a range of temperatures where it's production is optimal. Don't quote me on the numbers, but I think it's in the vicinity 80C and higher. If you don't cool your wort fast enough, and your wort hangs around 80C for longer than it should, tons of DMS will be produced and will stay in your beer since you're no longer boiling to dissipate it. Do you remember if you took a long time to cool your beer?

Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown