Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry hopping in a keg - Can I filter afterwards?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
bmckee56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Dry hopping in a keg - Can I filter afterwards?

I just transferred a Southern Tier - Pale Ale Clone to my corny keg and I added Amarillo pellets in the keg (muslin bag) to dry hop for 4 days. When complete, can I filter the beer without stripping any of the aroma and/or flavor added during the dry hop period? I have 5 and 1 micron cartdridges available to use. Which would you recommend to clear out any hop and yeast sediment that will remain?

Appreciate your input.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Cold & time will cause the sediment to drop. Other methods take something out that you just spent time putting in.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
warriorpoet
Recipes 

Besides the above comment I personally use a 1 micron filter and push my beer into another keg as slow as it will allow...usually about 4lbs of CO2 does it. I have not, I repeat, have not lost anything in my flavor and also have reduced most of the yeast for a beautiful clarity. Hop character will be lost over time, however. Something to think about...drinking those Amarillo's young! And, since you like Amarillo, try Citra!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
bmckee56
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My plan is to use a second keg setup as described above. I have the housing and will pick up a 1 microm cartridge to filter. I really want to have this beer clear as I plan to bottle several and enter it in a local competition. That of course will only happen if the beer is a good brew when finished (I am certain it will be ).

Salute!
On Tap #2 - Nada

Old 07-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
warriorpoet
Recipes 

Great! Good Luck! My beer comes up really clean with this method. I use a Blickman Beer Gun and it really helps gets my beer bottled and carbonation dialed in easily. All of the brews I have entered in competition the comments were that they loved the clarity and carbonation...taste guidelines and preferences are another thing (yes, I have won!).

Old 07-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
bmckee56
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorpoet View Post
Great! Good Luck! My beer comes up really clean with this method. I use a Blickman Beer Gun and it really helps gets my beer bottled and carbonation dialed in easily. All of the brews I have entered in competition the comments were that they loved the clarity and carbonation...taste guidelines and preferences are another thing (yes, I have won!).
Good for you (and me too I hope!). Congratulations on the wins.

Salute!

On Tap #2 - Nada