Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Homebrewing a Belgian Witbier

Old 07-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
berley31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Homebrewing a Belgian Witbier

Planning on doing a Wit tomorrow... just had a question regarding the addition of the coriander, citrus zest, and chamomile that the recipe calls for.

It mentions to add all three 5 minutes before the end of boil. Obviously, the crushed coriander just goes right in, but I've read differing opinions on what to do with the zest and chamomile. Would it best to just put them both in a mesh bag, throw it in at 5 minutes, and keep the bag in there until transfer to the fermenter, and remove it then?

Old 07-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just throw them all straight in. Always turns out great.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 41 Posts

I put all of the spice additions into a mesh bag. Makes for a lot less gunk when transferring later.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
berley31
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywolfie1015 View Post
I just throw them all straight in. Always turns out great.
Do you have any problems with all the citrus zest getting caught in the racking cane or siphone tube or anything?

Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
heywolfie1015
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berley31 View Post
Do you have any problems with all the citrus zest getting caught in the racking cane or siphone tube or anything?
Sorry, I should have clarified. When I transfer from boil pot to fermenter, I pour through a strainer, which catches the majority of the trub. When I racked the most recent wit, though, there were some chunks of bitter orange peel still floating around and the racking cane did fine. Main thing to remember about wits is that they are meant to be hazy, so some extra gunk in the mix is fine.

All that said, though, no harm in throwing them in a bag. Whatever will make your brew day the most enjoyable.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
berley31
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywolfie1015 View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified. When I transfer from boil pot to fermenter, I pour through a strainer, which catches the majority of the trub. When I racked the most recent wit, though, there were some chunks of bitter orange peel still floating around and the racking cane did fine. Main thing to remember about wits is that they are meant to be hazy, so some extra gunk in the mix is fine.

All that said, though, no harm in throwing them in a bag. Whatever will make your brew day the most enjoyable.
Ok, gotcha. I don't mind using a mesh bag, I was just more concerned that doing so may rob some of the aroma/flavor from the beer (that is, if the bag was removed and the zest is supposed to get into the fermenter, but it sounds like its ok just steeping for a while).

Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
heywolfie1015
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berley31 View Post
Ok, gotcha. I don't mind using a mesh bag, I was just more concerned that doing so may rob some of the aroma/flavor from the beer (that is, if the bag was removed and the zest is supposed to get into the fermenter, but it sounds like its ok just steeping for a while).
Yeah, you'll be just fine. I guarantee it'll be tasty either way.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 for tossing it right in the brew. I did a saison a couple of weeks ago with a little fresh citrus zest and some grains of paradise. Both went straight into the boil kettle. I whirlpooled before going to the fermenter and it made a big difference. No solids apparent in the racking tube, and no clogs.

And +2 for brewing what appears to beer the wit recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. My cousin asks me to brew it as his Christmas gift every year. He always scratches his head tho and says to me "I thought you said a 5 gallon batch makes about 2 cases." My reply is always the same, "It usually does," I say "But I lost a little during the boil this time." (as I toss a blanket over the 12 pack of wit my wife extracted from his gift)

Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
berley31
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post
+1 for tossing it right in the brew. I did a saison a couple of weeks ago with a little fresh citrus zest and some grains of paradise. Both went straight into the boil kettle. I whirlpooled before going to the fermenter and it made a big difference. No solids apparent in the racking tube, and no clogs.

And +2 for brewing what appears to beer the wit recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. My cousin asks me to brew it as his Christmas gift every year. He always scratches his head tho and says to me "I thought you said a 5 gallon batch makes about 2 cases." My reply is always the same, "It usually does," I say "But I lost a little during the boil this time." (as I toss a blanket over the 12 pack of wit my wife extracted from his gift)
Good call! It is indeed the BCS recipe.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3029 Times on 2935 Posts
Likes Given: 149

depends on your chilling/draining setup.