Quinoa Pale Ale - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Quinoa Pale Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #41
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 980
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


Thank you for sending me this beer, it is impressive. I don't know that I would exactly be able to say this beer is gluten free and I for one will be looking over this recipe and giving it a shot. Want to send some more my way


__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #42
DirtbagHB
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Pocatello, ID, Idaho
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I'd love to send you anothe quinoa brew. However you got posted the last bottle



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #43
No_Party
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Nashvegas, TN
Posts: 172

This recipe sounds awesome. If I ever graduate to all grain brewing I am definitely giving this one a go. I love the idea of a quinoa beer.
__________________
“When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading" - Paul Hornung

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #44
dorklord
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I'm not ready to try malting and all-grain just yet, but I'm planning on roasting some grains for some upcoming brews, and one of the grains I've got is quinoa.

If it looks half as good as your picture, and tastes half as good as it looks, I'll be happy!
__________________
That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #45
DirtbagHB
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Pocatello, ID, Idaho
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I'm gonna try the toasting ave and see if it comes out the same using added enzymes. Well see what happens with it. Hopefully tackeling in in the next month

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #46
DKershner
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbagHomebrew View Post
I'm gonna try the toasting ave and see if it comes out the same using added enzymes. Well see what happens with it. Hopefully tackeling in in the next month
My guess is that it will be different, but not worse.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #47
kopher
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
NYC
Posts: 45
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


So has anyone been able to really convert quinoa well? That beer does look great but without gravity readings it's hard to tell for sure.

I've tried a few times now and never get any real conversion. In the latest batch (a 2 gallon batch) I mashed 4# of home-malted quinoa with 2# of sweet potatoes (they have tons of beta amylase, apparently) and tons of the powdered alpha amylase stuff. Still kept failing the iodine test and tasted super starchy but after a 3 hour mash I decided to boil with some hops and ferment anyway.

I got an OG around 1.040 but after about a month it hasn't fallen much. It fermented a bit and actually smells oddly beer-like but it's starchy and gross.

I took an earlier version of my quinoa experiment (100% quinoa, using that pre-sprouted stuff) and dumped in the dregs of a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja -- I figured those bugs would be able to eat the starches. It now smells nicely sour and even has a pellicle! Not exactly gluten free but a quinoa lambic could be tasty.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #48
DKershner
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kopher View Post
I took an earlier version of my quinoa experiment (100% quinoa, using that pre-sprouted stuff) and dumped in the dregs of a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja -- I figured those bugs would be able to eat the starches. It now smells nicely sour and even has a pellicle! Not exactly gluten free but a quinoa lambic could be tasty.
Lol, I always thought GF sour beer was a good idea, but I didn't have anyone to drink it. Who cares about much conversion when you are dealing with Lacto!

As to answer your question, Dirtbag has found a mix of beta and alpha enzymes in the form of his...blanking on the name but it is earlier in this thread. I have not been able to source it anywhere for sale yet online.

EDIT: The name is Crosby & Baker.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #49
kopher
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
NYC
Posts: 45
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
As to answer your question, Dirtbag has found a mix of beta and alpha enzymes in the form of his...blanking on the name but it is earlier in this thread. I have not been able to source it anywhere for sale yet online.

EDIT: The name is Crosby & Baker.
Hmm, are you sure it's alpha & beta though? Seems to just be called "Amylase Enzyme Formula" like the stuff sold at austin homebrew...

At least this guy was unhappy about the stuff: http://www.artisan-distiller.net/php...hp?f=31&t=2550

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #50
DKershner
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kopher View Post
Hmm, are you sure it's alpha & beta though? Seems to just be called "Amylase Enzyme Formula" like the stuff sold at austin homebrew...

At least this guy was unhappy about the stuff: http://www.artisan-distiller.net/php...hp?f=31&t=2550
I'm just going off what Dirtbag said, the site http://crosby-baker.com/index.php/pr...s/enzymes.html has essentially no information and I havent used it myself.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to use Quinoa in an Amber Ale... Dinklefwat Gluten Free Brewing 9 09-16-2010 02:06 AM
GF Pale Ale david_42 Gluten Free Brewing 9 01-15-2010 09:30 PM
Gluten Free Pale Ale Lcasanova Gluten Free Brewing 6 08-16-2009 10:30 PM


Forum Jump