Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bubblegum esters without high fermentation temp

Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
jwatkins56550
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bubblegum esters without high fermentation temp

So,

I took a brown ale recipe I thoroughly enjoy from time to time, and I took out the dark grains, and added a half ounce kent goldings dry hop for a nice summer ale.

Fermented with wlp005 at 67F in a temp controlled fridge.

Things that happened during my brewday that I am thinking could have caused this off flavor...

I like to decant my starters after I mash during brewday, and add a pint of sterile wort to get the yeast active again for pitching. After I add the pint of sterile wort, I put it in a temp controlled fridge at my pitching temp.

Problem this brewday was that I forgot to plug in the fridge, so by the time I was going to pitch, my starter was rocking @ 74-75F. So I had to chill down to my wort temp, which was around 60F and pitch, this took about 20 minutes. By morning it had a nice krausen that fell and cleared in 3-4 days.

This was also the first time I added lactic acid to my sparge water to lower the pH. I added 1/3 of a tsp to 6 gallons.

As of now I don't think it was the lactic acid, and am leaning more towards my starter temp, but I just don't know. Would that cooling down, cause enough stress on the yeast?

The beer is young for most beers...day 9 from fermentation, but I've successfully made the darker version of this, from grains to glass in 10 days before.

As of now, the beer is sitting in a keg, in my fridge at 70F conditioning more.

Any ideas of what went wrong here?

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 261

My guess it that the yeast weren't done cleaning up after themselves. Give it more time.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
jwatkins56550
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah thats what I'm doing...although Ive made this batch a couple times before, and its always a quick one from grains to glass...

Old 07-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
wgentzel
Recipes 

Currently having a similar problem with WLP001 and fermented at 60F (though I pitched at higher temps). 12 days in, I'll let you know how it is in another week...
Bottled: None
On Deck: Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Now brewing in South Korea!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

--Ben Franklin