Threw away my first batch today - ever!
I used some captured Kellerweis yeast on a batch of German Wheat. Brewed on Sunday. Went perfect.
The yeast seemed to be extremely active. I was actually surprised when it was not bubbling within an hour.
Went to a family picnic, and got home, and very little activity.
Never got any airlock activity or krausen. Really weird, since this yeast was going ballistic before I pitched it.
Yes, I know. RDWHAHB. Been there.
Next day, nothing. More than 24 hours. Pitched a packet of Nottingham trying to save it. I already smelled some off aroma, (not good), but thought I could save it.
Anyway, long story short, I took the lid off again today, and saw some stringy, bad looking stuff. Checked the gravity. 1.010. Something ate the sugar, but not what I wanted.
Bad smell, too. I even went as far as trying a little from below the surface taken with a turkey baster.
Really bad. Toilet bad.
So, it's gone. $12 down the drain. My only concern now is that whatever was in there is gone.
Dumped everything. New sanitizer on everything.
"Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. "
I'm gonna be sure.
<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>