KBS Clone Recipe in Zymurgy! - Page 9 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > KBS Clone Recipe in Zymurgy!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #81
FRS
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
State College, PA
Posts: 151
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Awesome! This may be a good reason to finally pick up a bourbon barrel...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #82
brewbobaggins
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Northern California
Posts: 99
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


Five weeks after brewing, my KBS clone stopped at 1.030 and wouldn't move.

After a LOT of research, I pitched some US-05 onto it. Within a few hours it was bubbling again. Hoping it gets down below 1.020...maybe even to 1.017ish. We shall see.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #83
sivdrinks
 
sivdrinks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Lebanon, PA, PA
Posts: 809
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbobaggins
Five weeks after brewing, my KBS clone stopped at 1.030 and wouldn't move.

After a LOT of research, I pitched some US-05 onto it. Within a few hours it was bubbling again. Hoping it gets down below 1.020...maybe even to 1.017ish. We shall see.
Just bumping to see if anyone had any updates. I posted in another thread that the Jim Beam Devils Cut has a big oak finish to it, I'll probably skip the chips/cubes when I make this.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #84
FRS
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
State College, PA
Posts: 151
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


I shared a 2012 and a 2011 KBS with some friends the other night. The 2011 was notably dryer and we preferred it to the 2012 version. I don't believe beer will dry out much in the bottle over a year, so I attribute this to a recipe change. I used a refractometer and the ABV on the bottle to estimate the final gravity of each:

2011: 1.026
2012: 1.029

A hydrometer would be more accurate, of course, but I wasn't about to degas ~6 oz of each KBS!! It was hard enough sacrificing the 50 mL or so I needed to degas for the refractometer...

I haven't seen any references to the 'actual' FG of KBS, so I thought I would post this for those looking to clone it!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #85
bobbrews
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 4,034
Liked 439 Times on 350 Posts


For 1.092 OG to finish at over 10-11% abv, KBS has to finish a lot drier than 1.026/1.029 FG. For that reason, I'm pretty sure the true FG is below 1.020. The only reasons I can think of that would prove this wrong would be if the real OG of KBS was actually much higher than 1.092... or if your readings were faulty. You cannot accurately gauge the FG of a carbed, conditioned beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #86
FRS
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
State College, PA
Posts: 151
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
For 1.092 OG to finish at over 10-11% abv, KBS has to finish a lot drier than 1.026/1.029 FG. For that reason, I'm pretty sure the true FG is below 1.020. The only reasons I can think of that would prove this wrong would be if the real OG of KBS was actually much higher than 1.092... or if your readings were faulty. You cannot accurately gauge the FG of a carbed, conditioned beer.
I suspect that the real KBS has an OG of about 1.110-1.115; as others have noted, the Zymurgy recipe does not get you to 11.2% abv. peregrinebio hit an OG of 1.111 and notes it was very close to the real deal (Post #77).

I see no reason a FG measurement from a degassed room temperature sample of commercial beer is any different than the FG before kegging/bottling.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #87
bobbrews
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 4,034
Liked 439 Times on 350 Posts


At one time though, wasn't KBS in the 10% abv range? I don't remember if it was always 11.2%

To answer your second concern, perhaps the priming sugar and the yeast developed by feeding them more sugar at this stage has some effect on achieving a slightly higher FG.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #88
brewbobaggins
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Northern California
Posts: 99
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
Just bumping to see if anyone had any updates. I posted in another thread that the Jim Beam Devils Cut has a big oak finish to it, I'll probably skip the chips/cubes when I make this.
UPDATE: After pitching US-05 yeast, I got it to ferment down to 1.022, which was my target FG. I put some bourbon-soaked oak chips in the bottling bucket, let it sit for an hour or so, stirred gently and bottled.

Opened up the first bottle this week. Holy crap. Best beer I've ever brewed. I'm a huge stout fan, and this is one of the most complex stouts I've ever had. The chocolate is subtle, the coffee is sweet, and the bourbon/oakiness is perfectly subdued. Damn I love this beer.

Notes: I stayed very close to the original post-er's recipe. I used nibs too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #89
FRS
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
State College, PA
Posts: 151
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
At one time though, wasn't KBS in the 10% abv range? I don't remember if it was always 11.2%

To answer your second concern, perhaps the priming sugar and the yeast developed by feeding them more sugar at this stage has some effect on achieving a slightly higher FG.
Not sure if they have upped the ABV of more recent batches, but it's certainly possible. I've only had the 2011 and 2012 KBS.

I don't believe KBS is bottle carbed, so there would be no addition of sugar/yeast at bottling.

I prefer a dryer stout, so when I make this I will be shooting for something that finishes near 1.020

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #90
bobbrews
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 4,034
Liked 439 Times on 350 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
I don't believe KBS is bottle carbed, so there would be no addition of sugar/yeast at bottling.
But all in all, it is still carbonated from residual yeast eating sugars (or more added yeast - we don't really know)... whether that is from priming sugar, or the sugars inherent in the bourbon or both.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zymurgy KBS clone OG way low mb2696 General Beer Discussion 4 07-08-2010 10:42 PM
Anyone seen Papazian's "Black Samba" recipe in the latest Zymurgy? arover General Beer Discussion 3 05-02-2010 01:36 PM
Crazy Zymurgy Doppelboch recipe wildwest450 Recipes/Ingredients 10 10-29-2009 04:05 PM
New Zymurgy - Pliny recipe, best beers list... Trubadour General Chit Chat 12 06-24-2009 05:44 AM
recipe in last month's Zymurgy? coyote Recipes/Ingredients 6 06-28-2007 09:22 PM


Forum Jump