National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > KBS Clone Recipe in Zymurgy!

Old 11-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #121
sabitu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Which yeast would work best with this recipe: Safale S-04, Safale S-05, or White Labs WLP007? I have all three of these on hand and I can't decide which one to use.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #122
FRS
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabitu View Post
Which yeast would work best with this recipe: Safale S-04, Safale S-05, or White Labs WLP007? I have all three of these on hand and I can't decide which one to use.
I used S-05 and it came out very well. Honestly I think the yeast derived flavors are mostly going to be lost beneath the coffee chocolate oak and whiskey additions anyway

Old 12-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #123
Dubzie111
Recipes 

Is there any liquid malt extract in this recipe? Or dry only?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #124
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I am brewing 15 gallons of this tomorrow morning with 3 brewers. We are using locally roasted coffee and aging it in a 2nd use barrel from Dad's Hat Rye Whiskey (also local). Should be fun, alot of work but should be fun.

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ed_coffey

Old 12-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #125
billysparrows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For those bottling this beer, what is your target carb level? Mine has been on oak/bourbon for 3 weeks and I'm getting ready to bottle. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #126
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Brewed this yesterday.

Wow, what a spectacular mess the chocolate makes.

I used (first time) my new Stainless Brewing Hop Spider. It worked very well, until I tried to recirculate the wort through it post boil. It had a conglomerated mass of goop by the time I had finally drained my kettle. For some reason, I didn't achieve the proper OG, even though I boiled off a respectable amount of wort (more than I wanted actually). If the hydrometer reading is to be believed I'm shy of my target OG is about 9 points too low, mine was 1.086, target 1.095 I think the whisky addition will make up for that however.

I ended up splitting into two batches, into half I pitched Roeselare Blend for a sour beer. The other half I used Safale S05.

Let you all know in a year how this turned out!

TD

Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #127
jamsomito
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey guys - I've soaked some oak cubes in bourbon for a few weeks and I'm ready to rack to secondary and add them. Should I add just the soaked cubes or all of the bourbon it's soaking in too? I feel like dumping in the bourbon will add more oak flavor, but I don't want the bourbon to be overpowering.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #128
stompbox
Served up in the backyard

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsomito View Post
Hey guys - I've soaked some oak cubes in bourbon for a few weeks and I'm ready to rack to secondary and add them. Should I add just the soaked cubes or all of the bourbon it's soaking in too? I feel like dumping in the bourbon will add more oak flavor, but I don't want the bourbon to be overpowering.
Too late to follow my advice, but what I did was: soak the oak on bourbon for 12 or 24 hours, dumped out the liquid to get rid of the harsh oak flavors, soaked the oak in bourbon for a few weeks and then dumped the liquid and all in the secondary.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app
IslandLizard Likes This 
Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #129
jamsomito
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompbox View Post
Too late to follow my advice, but what I did was: soak the oak on bourbon for 12 or 24 hours, dumped out the liquid to get rid of the harsh oak flavors, soaked the oak in bourbon for a few weeks and then dumped the liquid and all in the secondary.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app
Ah bummer. So how about all the oak and half the bourbon?

Old 01-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #130
TrickyDick
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I am trying to figure this out as well.

My initial plan was to let it finish out primary. From there things get a little strange. I split my batch, with half the wort getting pitched with Roeselare Blend for a sour beer. I do not intend this sour half to come into contact with other equipment. It is getting racked into a better bottle. I'll need to carefully label the racking equipment of course. The other non-sour half, into a glass carboy.

From this point, I suspect I would be ready to add the next dose of coffee since its now into secondary fermentation. Tomorrow will be 1 week since pitching yeast for me, and it seemed to have a somewhat slow start. I'm going to let it go another week then rack it and add coffee dose.

When to add the oak and bourbon seems a big question to me. The timing of all of this seems strange to me. Supposedly this beer is aged for a year in gypsum caves in barrels. Seems like it should be aging in contact with the oak. So I am thinking about adding this Oak right at the same racking time. I am planning to let it age in the carboys for a year. I've had my Oak Chips soaking in a 1QT mason jar filled with Jameson Irish Whisky, a little twist on the recipe, for nearly a year now. I want to bottle finish these beers, and was thinking about putting the non-sour into a keg first to get appropriate carbonation levels.

Once concern I have about adding the whisky is that the ABV will be so high, I will not get good bottle conditioning due to the high ABV. I'm probably going to be using CBC-1 yeast therefore, which has a high ABV tolerance, and add a pack to the bottling buckets after re-hydration. I'm thinking maybe one pack per half. However, the sour half I am wondering if the bugs and yeast blend which includes a sherry strain, will be fine as-is. Force carbing half and then bottling the non-soured half from the keg, I may be able to save on some yeast.

I have a bottle of Almanac Bourbon Sour beer that I'm dying to try. I may crack it open next weekend as see how I like the Oak effect and help use that opinion to determine how much Oak chips to add. I believe the oak flavor fades slowly over time, not sure about the bourbon flavor. Maybe I will taste a sample of the wort as well while racking to see what a splash of whisky will do. I am undecided on if I want to add the Whisky from the mason jar, which will likely be an Oak Bomb, or add fresh whisky...

Thanks for any advice.

TD