Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > memory foam bed

Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
strat_thru_marshall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default memory foam bed

our 8 year old spring mattress is killing the backs of me and swmbo.

thinking about going the memory foam mattress route. I cant really justify dropping $3k on a tempurpedic...especially when I really want to get that new brew stand, etc.... but theres lots of other brands that seem like a good deal for much less $. Anyone own the memory foam and feel strongly one way or another? Real life input is valued over the "reviews" on the manufacturers websites.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 41 Posts

Pretty sure my fiancee's parents have a memory foam from Ikea. I know they are very happy with it and am 99% sure its from Ikea.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've never owned a memory foam mattress, but I did have a pillow made of the stuff once.

I like the pillow, but it always felt like it trapped heat and made my head sweat.

Oh... And one night when it was cold, I jumped into bed and got the distinct sensation of being smacked with a baseball bat. That pillow turned into a rock in the cold temps. It warmed up, got soft, and made my head sweat eventually, but... MAN... That thing was hard when I first landed on it.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

We have a Tempurpedic and love it. I've had back problems for 30 years and that bed is great to sleep on. It can trap some heat which is nice in the winter, not so good in the summer but with a good mattress pad it's not really an issue.

Now when I have to sleep on a spring mattress, it feels hard and lumpy and I always wake up with a back ache.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

I have a non tempurpedic california king memory foam mattress that I paid 900 for, 6 years ago. I love it.

One thing, don't be talked into getting the pillow top. It really is a waste. Mine is so thick it kind of defeats the purpose of the foam. I've been tempted to cut it off. But I flipped the mattress for a year and slept on the pure foam, then flipped it back and it had compressed the top.

Love the mattress. If I had to do it again I would, just without the top.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
Ice9
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been sleeping on a foam topper for over a year now and plan on upgrading to an Ikea memory foam mattress when the budget allows. I seem to fall asleep much faster on the memory foam compared to the tossing and turning I used to do with the conventional mattress and boxspring.
On Deck: Gumballhead clone, German Pilsner
Drinking: Old Ale, Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy, Bourbon Barrel RIS

Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I bought the thicker of the two temperpedic matresses and ended up returning it after 2 weeks of hell. Neither me nor my wife could sleep on it. I sleep on my side and as the matress heated, would allow my a$$ to sink deeper into the matress than the rest of my body--kinked the heck out of me.

Also, when you get out of bed at night, you have to climb out of a hole where you have lain, and it was very hot--held your body heat and made you sweat. The return cost ~ $100 IIRC--for re-packaging. Getting rid of that thing was worth every penny.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCOLA View Post
Also, when you get out of bed at night, you have to climb out of a hole where you have lain, and it was very hot--held your body heat and made you sweat.
Holiday Inn, Historic District, Charleston, SC - they switched all their mattresses to the memory foam - I was doing work in Chas, and stayed at this hotel for days - I had the same experience as RCCOLA -

I'm thinking more along the lines of replacing my old mattress with the air-filled (sleep number) type...

Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Bedlam

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
Holiday Inn, Historic District, Charleston, SC - they switched all their mattresses to the memory foam - I was doing work in Chas, and stayed at this hotel for days - I had the same experience as RCCOLA -

I'm thinking more along the lines of replacing my old mattress with the air-filled (sleep number) type...
Don't do it! I had a similar experience as you, but with the hotel using the "sleep number" bed. Hated it! Honestly, I couldn't get past the inflatable mattress notion. It was far better than the old camping mattress I used in a tent for years, but still not as supportive as I'd have thought. And yes, I did crank up the number, but hardness does not equal supportiveness (insert sexual innuendo here ). It seemed like a gimmick to me, and an expensive one at that.

We bought our last mattress at Sam's for a decent price, then splurged on a nice topper. It works out.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got one of those $100 memory foam matress pads for my regular bed and I love it. I did have to put a piece of plywood under it though to keep it from sinking into the sunken spots on the old matress. It was a quick fix while we debated on a new matress. It is about 5-6" thick.

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the heat and cold issues. This material doesn't seem to react to either. I got a pillow of the same material and I lve that too.