Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast wash & pitch on cake?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Catnip_X07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yeast wash & pitch on cake?

About to keg an Am Wheat beer and have been reading many posts on reusing the yeast left behind (following up with another Am Wheat). Read pros/cons of pitching on top of the cake.
Some have stated that using a cup or two of the slurry from the cake works well. Using this slurry, is the wort poured on top of the slurry, or pitched on top (does it matter)?
Since I'll be reusing the yeast within 2 hours, if I were to wash it, could I just pitch one of the jars on top of the wort immediately afterwards (i.e. no starter)?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
a10t2
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnip_X07 View Post
Some have stated that using a cup or two of the slurry from the cake works well.
Even a cup would be too much for an average gravity ale. Something like 1/3-1/2 cup would be about right.

Quote:
Using this slurry, is the wort poured on top of the slurry, or pitched on top (does it matter)?
It doesn't matter.

Quote:
Since I'll be reusing the yeast within 2 hours, if I were to wash it, could I just pitch one of the jars on top of the wort immediately afterwards (i.e. no starter)?
Yup, the rule of thumb I usually hear is that a starter isn't needed for at least two weeks, and I'd agree with that.

944play Likes This 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Catnip_X07
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Followed the yeast washing and time will tell if I did it right when using a starter. From the remaining slurry, I skimmed about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup and pitched in my new wort batch. Should have used 1/3 to 1/2, but wanted to ensure there would be yeast. As of 18 hours later, very active fermentation. Not enough to blow my airlock off, but will probably watch closely.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Catnip_X07
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Well...it's been day 9 since I transferred wort to my primary. After the rapid, fermentation passed...I still have active fermentation. About 1-2 bubbles per minute. Is this odd? Haven't checked FG yet.
One puzzling thing to me is that the room is 65*F and this beer (american wheat) still has active bubbling. Kolsch, hasn't had much fermentation at all and it was brewed a few days before the wheat. I realize the temp may be a bit high for the Kolsch yeast.