Homebrewing too popular??? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Homebrewing too popular???

Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Aug 2008
, New York
Liked 131 Times on 81 Posts

//RANT//

Maybe I'm just an unfriendly jackass, but I sorta miss the days when I could tell a group of people I was a homebrewer and get nothing but a bunch of half disgusted stares. Now it seems like every fratboy and hipster either homebrews or claims to know enough about it to tout himself as an authority on the topic. When did homebrewing become soo trendy all of a sudden? It's not that I want homebrewing to be some type of selective club, I just don't want it to become some meaningless, blase activity that is associated solely with the likes of those douche canoes who care to blog about their new ipad or Ray-Bans.

It's like food. It used to be fine to cook nice things and enjoy them in anonymity. Now some a**hole makes a pot roast and feels impelled to blog it all over the freaking interwebs and provide snide commentary on how special it is; as if the world never saw a pot roast before. Beer is not wine, it is not cigars, or fancy cars. It's worth as a product and hobby should not be determined by how unique it is, or how many ****** line up to buy a bottle of it, or how many ****** use it as a launching pad for their own pitiful egos.

Homebrewing doesn't need tv shows with cheerleader sam calagione telling everyone how cool beer is, or magazines telling you your beer sucks because it wasn't made by monks or touched by vestal virgins; or organic hops that will help save the whales, and other nonsense. I brew beer because I want to and enjoy doing it, not because I care about the latest fad or how cool it will make me look. I brew beer, I drink beer, and I think our hobby's future would be better off it's popularity rested in brewing beer rather than allowing some **** to live their life "vicariously" through it.

(and If I offended you... too freaking bad!)

//End Rant//

strat_thru_marshall Likes This 
Old 07-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
mullenite
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Gainesville, Fl
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You didn't offend me, but I do strongly disagree with you. More people enjoying better beer means a more competitive market which means better beer overall for everyone.

hier Likes This 
Old 07-04-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
Dunerunner

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Florence, OR
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

It doesn't happen in my neck of the woods. I'm lucky to get three to five to show for club meetings, even when I bring the beer!! Everyone I talk to is astonished that I brew my own beer and ask if it is legal!!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunerunner View Post
It doesn't happen in my neck of the woods. I'm lucky to get three to five to show for club meetings, even when I bring the beer!! Everyone I talk to is astonished that I brew my own beer and ask if it is legal!!
Yup +1 here too.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

Yea, when I say I homebrew, people look at me like I have two heads, then ask how I get the alcohol in there.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
HalfPint

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Houston
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Although I agree with gnome most of the time, I completely understand what you're saying in the OP. For some reason, I've come across a couple of people who claim that they actually know a few things about the brewing process when in fact, they don't.

Me like a lot of you, have almost (lol "almost", ask swmbo what she thinks) become obsessed with this hobby. I can't help but brew more styles and buy more equipment to take my brewing to another level. I have books, and I buy more books all the time to learn about this seemingly simple process these newbs call brewing. I am intrigued by the different processes people everywhere use to make this beverage that we all love so much.

I'm bored, so I stopped, but I think you catch my drift,
J

Old 07-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

I can understand what you mean/where you're coming from, but I don't let other brewers comments or attitudes get to me. The proof is in the brew.

Some people can talk a good game. I've known one brewer going on 16 years and he's only ever had "beer ready" twice in that whole time period.

Just ask them if they have any to share...most of the time that'll shut them up.

I remember when I first started sharing. (I felt like) most guys would tell me exactly what's good and bad about my brew and how to improve them. Whether or not I felt the same is another matter.

In my experience I found that, in the beginning, I didn't like other people's brews. The all grain had a sour taste in the fringe, but I've since learned that it was the hops that I was tasting.

I've since retired (3 June), but at work people would come up to me and ask "what's brewing?" because they knew I always brewed. We have an office party coming up and they know I'll be bringing some brews with me...usually a keg. There have been several parties I've attended where the kegs were empty when I left. Now that's a sign of a good brew.

As for the people who are in it for "fad" reasons, I say "go for it!!!" The reason is that in 6 months you'll be able to buy their equipment for less than 1/2 price because it's too much work or they don't have the time...

Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #8
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

Sounds to me like you read things you shouldn't read because you let what other people say bother you. I think you allude to bigger issues than the ones you specifically point out.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
HalfPint

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Houston
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
I can understand what you mean/where you're coming from, but I don't let other brewers comments or attitudes get to me. The proof is in the brew.

Some people can talk a good game. I've known one brewer going on 16 years and he's only ever had "beer ready" twice in that whole time period.

Just ask them if they have any to share...most of the time that'll shut them up.

I remember when I first started sharing. (I felt like) most guys would tell me exactly what's good and bad about my brew and how to improve them. Whether or not I felt the same is another matter.

In my experience I found that, in the beginning, I didn't like other people's brews. The all grain had a sour taste in the fringe, but I've since learned that it was the hops that I was tasting.

I've since retired (3 June), but at work people would come up to me and ask "what's brewing?" because they knew I always brewed. We have an office party coming up and they know I'll be bringing some brews with me...usually a keg. There have been several parties I've attended where the kegs were empty when I left. Now that's a sign of a good brew.

As for the people who are in it for "fad" reasons, I say "go for it!!!" The reason is that in 6 months you'll be able to buy their equipment for less than 1/2 price because it's too much work or they don't have the time...
Or 40 people had one beer that they threw out.

Lol, lol, j/k.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Or 40 people had one beer that they threw out.

Lol, lol, j/k.
LOL...

You know it's not the case when they keep coming back for more...drink the glass while talking with you, fill up and move on...