I recently had a friend ask me for an equipment list to get started with a BIAB setup. I thought I’d share my list with everyone. Please let me know if I missed anything or what you’d change. Also, wouldn’t it be great to have a section dedicated to BIAB on homebrewtalk.com…
1. Brew Kettle – This is less expensive than a keggle (15.5 gallon keg converted into a kettle), easier to clean and smaller. It’s smaller but still holds the same volume of liquid – 15.5 gal. Also, the boil basket works perfectly for keeping the bag off the bottom of the pot so it doesn’t burn. We use the boil basket to pull the bag out of the pot and drain into the kettle. I haven't done it yet, but I think one could do a 10gal BIAB batch with this kettle. $155 shipped from Amazon
2. Burner – The Bayou Classic SQ-14 has worked really well. There are many burners with higher BTUs available… $50 from Amazon
3. Any large stir paddle and siphon will do from your Local Home Brew Store (LHBS) or online. $20
4. Thermometer – its stainless steel, water proof, shatter proof and reads in less than 10 seconds all for under $20!
5. Fermenting bucket/lid/airlock – I prefer plastic as they’re easy to clean and there’s no risk of it breaking. I actually use a bottling bucket to ferment in and gravity feed right into my keg.
Buy online or from your LHBS $17
6. Star San – great sanitizer
Online or from you LHBS $20
7. Bag – You can buy or make one. This link gives a good explanation. $10
8. Keg or bottle – www.kegcowboy.com
has great prices right now.