So a funny thing happend on the way to bottling my oaked, aged cider. I think I wound up with an infection from not fully sterilizing the oak cubes I used (home toasted oak). This cider started as a variant of Graham's English cider about and kinda took off from there. It has aged for about four months in a carboy and was aged for about a month on oak cubes (light/medium toast).
Below are two photos of what has developed across the top of the cider during the aging process. One thing to note is that I experimented with using a layer of medical grade mineral oil as an oxygen barrier after removing the oak cubes, in addition to using a regular airlock.
In anycase today I syphoned off the mineral oil and took a sample of the cider waiting below. It definately has a slight sour taste too it that I find somewhat appealing. The only problem is that there is a fairly strong bubble gum aroma that is also coming off the carboy. I'd kinda like to see how this develops and would appreciate any input folks have.
My thoughts are kinda split:
1) Rack from under the mineral oil to a fresh carboy and leave it alone and see in the infection continues in a positive direction.
2) Rack as above and add a fresh layer of mineral oil as protection and see what develops.
3) Rack and hit the whole thing with potassium metabisulfite, and let it age to see if the aroma changes and the drink mellows. Unfortunately I don't know how much K-meta to use for a 3 ga. batch.
If anyone has any experience or suggestions as to how to proceed I would be highly appreciative. I hope no one minds the posting in the Lambic&Wild forum considering we're talking cider, but I figured this is where the most experience on this topic might be.