Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > magic chef for fermentation fridge?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
jigidyjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default magic chef for fermentation fridge?

Has anyone tried using a magic chef mini-fridge for fermentation? Will a 6-gal carboy fit? They are more than $100 cheaper than the sanyo that everyone seems to like, and I'm sick of waiting for one to show up on craigslist.

The reviews I've read of magic chef as a general fridge aren't great. I'm wondering if it will be ok with a temp control system added.

for example, this fridge:

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-...atalogId=10053

Old 07-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've never seen or used that exact fridge, but I do have a 4.2 cubic foot fridge tha I use for a kegerator.

You are going to need to get your hands on one and measure it. My 4.2 will NOT hold a carboy because of the humb at the back that covers the compressor. There is not enough space between that hump and the door (which has already had the molded-in shelving removed) for the carboy to sit down on the floor.

I would have to build a shelft that sat on top of the compressor hump... but then I wouldn't have enough height to get the carboy in.

On the other hand, I have seen folks on here that CAN fit a carboy on the floor between the compressor hump and the de-shelved door.

Did you try searching this forum for the specific model number? (MCBR445B2)

Old 07-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
hoppingmad60
Recipes 

temp control system added

Sounds like a good idea, but I havent seen this mod or found a thermostat "I" can manipulate, to mod a fridge to hold around the 60 degrees I'd like to ferment at.

One attempt at using an old fridge turned up, shoving a thermometer in showed temp swings (when i opened door to peek) of 45 to 65 (i did say old frig, unsuitable for food storage, didnt i) Would also be nice if I could find a digital thermo that kept track of high and lows for me.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
vhampyre
Recipes 

I've had my eye on this controller, from the DIY forum, as I troll the local listings for fridges and freezers- seems to work fine, and a heck of a lot cheaper than other controllers I've seen:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-build-163849/

Old 07-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
You are going to need to get your hands on one and measure it.
Yah - I went to Home Depot yesterday to check it out. it definitely can't fit a carboy on the floor... bummer.

Thanks.