Cheap experiment - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Cheap experiment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
wadel
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
wa
Posts: 3


A local store that sells homebrew supplies had a cart full of nearly expired Mr. Beer ingredient kits for $2 each. It looks like each bag does about a case of beer so I thought, what the hell. I got two bags of a "canadian red". My thinking was I could do a 5 gallon batch with the two kits. Would it be worth adding a little amber or dark DME and some hops to the kit? (I'm guessing canadian red is fairly light).

I just figured this was a cheap way to get some beer.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,593
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts


Why not brew it and see what the gravity is? I'd certainly add a few hops to freshen the aroma, but it is summer time and a nice lawn mower beer makes sense.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
wadel
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
wa
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Why not brew it and see what the gravity is? I'd certainly add a few hops to freshen the aroma, but it is summer time and a nice lawn mower beer makes sense.
It is lawn mowing season so maybe I'll just hop it up a bit.

I'm fairly new to this (getting back into it after a long break). I can only boil 3 gallons right now and I've added that to 2 gallons in my carboy for previous brews. Is there a way to measure the OG of the 3 gallons in the pot and make some calculation to figure out what the OG would be when added to the remaining 2 gallons? Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
erkwist
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
atlanta
Posts: 127

make up a sample to test the full thing, 3 parts finished wort + 2 parts water and measure the gravity of that. to make it easy, use .25 of a cup, 3/4 wort and add a half water, that should get you super close to an accurate reading.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
Blueberryspies
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Chicago
Posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadel View Post
It is lawn mowing season so maybe I'll just hop it up a bit.

I'm fairly new to this (getting back into it after a long break). I can only boil 3 gallons right now and I've added that to 2 gallons in my carboy for previous brews. Is there a way to measure the OG of the 3 gallons in the pot and make some calculation to figure out what the OG would be when added to the remaining 2 gallons? Thanks
I use Beer Calculus for all of my recipes and it does what you are looking for and more.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
skidaddytn
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
knoxville, tn
Posts: 116
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


be careful now though.... fresher ingredients do have some importance to your final product and it takes quite a bit of your time to brew a batch... don't be pennywise and pound foolish unless you just want to get hammered...
if that's the case tho, go for it I guess... also make some apfelwein!... there's no better buz for the cost, i suppose...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
wadel
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
wa
Posts: 3

Just as a follow-up: skidaddytn was right. I added 1 lb of dark DME, an ounce of hops and fresh yeast. Beer is drinkable but that's about it. Not much body, can taste the alcohol, etc. Not really worth the time. Only good thing is I only went in $15 for the batch.

Live and learn.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
catdaddy66
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lugoff, SC
Posts: 1,552
Liked 223 Times on 183 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberryspies View Post
I use Beer Calculus for all of my recipes and it does what you are looking for and more.
What an awesome tool!! Thanks for the link to beer calculus; I just found out about my final product of Golden Ale w/ addition of 1.5 lbs of light DME to the AHB recipe. You ROCK, dude!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FWH Experiment alcibiades General Techniques 23 01-16-2013 05:34 PM
Hop experiment danculwell Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 02-05-2010 09:34 AM
My experiment dale1038 General Beer Discussion 4 10-24-2009 02:31 AM
Help. Experiment gone bad. Don "Ho" Mead Forum 11 12-27-2008 05:27 AM
experiment morbid53 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 06-27-2007 03:40 PM


Forum Jump