Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Redwood Hefeweizen ABV Question

Old 12-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #21
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Update

Thirteen hours after re-pitching and SG is @ 1.024. Looks like nothing is happening. Can detect some residual sweetness in the sample, and some alcohol. Doesn't taste bad or anything, so if I could get this batch to work, I think I would have a decent beer.

What about adding some extra sugar (boiled with some water and cooled to the mix). Maybe the yeast don't have enough sugar to work with? Is it possible that my extract might have been old. (I don't know much about how LHBS handles their items, but I know the extract comes out of large drums, so maybe it has been sitting awhile???)

Appreciate any advice.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #22
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you need to take a chill pill...

Adding more sugar to 7 lbs of malt is not going to do anything for your brew but make it sweeter and possibly (but not necessarily) lead to contamination.

Since your gravity was 1.025 for several days then you should have just shaken the primary a bit to roust the yeast. Sounds like a stuck fermentation.

Adding another vial of yeast without making a starter is going to take some time to get going. Apparently you didn't make a starter either time.

I HIGHLY recommend making a starter 2 days PRIOR to brewing because the starter lets you know that the yeast is good and it reduces your lag time...you already know what lag time is...those 13 hours you've been WAITING (WASTING) since you last pitched. Understand?

If you pitch a live yeast starter your lag time reduces to hours...only a couple of them (based upon pitching temp and the temp of your wort).

Oh, and NEVER - EVER pour a batch down the drain before consulting us first. We don't want you wasting any beer just because you think it's gone bad. I'm not naming names, but that's happened here before.

Now go get 'em...

Old 12-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #23
McKBrew

Recipes 

Default Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99

Adding more sugar to 7 lbs of malt is not going to do anything for your brew but make it sweeter and possibly (but not necessarily) lead to contamination.

Since your gravity was 1.025 for several days then you should have just shaken the primary a bit to roust the yeast. Sounds like a stuck fermentation.

Adding another vial of yeast without making a starter is going to take some time to get going. Apparently you didn't make a starter either time.

I HIGHLY recommend making a starter 2 days PRIOR to brewing because the starter lets you know that the yeast is good and it reduces your lag time...you already know what lag time is...those 13 hours you've been WAITING (WASTING) since you last pitched. Understand?

If you pitch a live yeast starter your lag time reduces to hours...only a couple of them (based upon pitching temp and the temp of your wort).

Oh, and NEVER - EVER pour a batch down the drain before consulting us first. We don't want you wasting any beer just because you think it's gone bad. I'm not naming names, but that's happened here before.

Now go get 'em...
You are probably right, I need to relax, don't worry, and drink alot of beer on New Year's Eve. It's just frustrating not understanding what is happening, or why. (Definately need more experience)

The reason I didn't make a starter is because the White Labs yeast says basically just to pour it in. But it looks making a starter should be the way I do business.

As for shaking the primary the first time around, I did, and waited a day. Maybe I have waited longer. I just really do not have an understanding yet of yeast mechanics.

Barring some unforseen situation I think I'll take your advice, chill out and just leave it alone for a few days and see what happens. Just from sampling alone, I think it will turn out OK in the end, if I can ever get it to finish.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:29 PM   #24
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts

Patience is definitely required when making good brew.

Have a good one!

Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 PM   #25
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99

Now go get 'em...

I couldn't agree more. Sounds like a stuck fermentation, that may have been brought on by premature racking. That said, it will take awhile for a "vial" of yeast to get going. Remember, the yeast you get in vials is in a state of dormancy, and if you produce starters in the future, it will go faster. All yeast has to undergo a lag phase to get up to speed and do its job. I think your yeast may be in this phase.

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 12-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #26
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
You are probably right, I need to relax, don't worry, and drink alot of beer on New Year's Eve. It's just frustrating not understanding what is happening, or why. (Definately need more experience)

The reason I didn't make a starter is because the White Labs yeast says basically just to pour it in. But it looks making a starter should be the way I do business.

As for shaking the primary the first time around, I did, and waited a day. Maybe I have waited longer. I just really do not have an understanding yet of yeast mechanics.

Barring some unforseen situation I think I'll take your advice, chill out and just leave it alone for a few days and see what happens. Just from sampling alone, I think it will turn out OK in the end, if I can ever get it to finish.
I make a starter on every white labs vial, and even Wyeast smack packs. I learned this hard lesson after having a batch of doppelbock take a whole week to get going. And I pitched two packages of Wyeast.

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 12-31-2006, 11:42 PM   #27
McKBrew

Recipes 

Default Let it Sit

Yep, I am going to listen to you all and hope for the best. I'll give it another week and see what happens. And I definately will be making a starter from now on.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #28
McKBrew

Recipes 

Default No Change

After 4 days of leaving it alone, I finally took an SG reading 1.024 (No change).

Re-pitching didn't have an effect. So I took the risky route and added some crushed Beano Tabs to the fermenter.

I am going to give this batch a little more time, then if nothing changes, time to make something new.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #29
G-E-R-M-A-N
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Before pitching what is the correct way to make a starter?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #30
McKBrew

Recipes 

Default Making a starter

Since I haven't actually made one, I couldn't tell you myself, but here are a couple of websites I found with different methods.

http://www.thehomebrewstore.com/wlpstarter.htm
(Looks like a fairly easy method to use with White Labs Yeast)

http://www.beerdude.com/yeast_starter.shtml

If any of you more experienced dudes or ladies has a different method, let us know.