Chilling and racking prior to fermentation???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshal6

Reaction score
Has anyone ever considered or tried chilling your finished wort down to 30-40 degrees allowing it to sit for a few days and racking it off the trub prior to pitching your yeast. At these temps I assume it would be very difficult for an infection to take on the task of fermentation and you would obviously have to allow the wort to warm back up to pitching temp prior to pitching. I don't know sounds kinda like a big pain in the arse, but I could see how it would make reusing yeast for multiple batches easier due to there being less trub mixed in with the yeast cake. I know most homebrewers try to eliminate junk you don't want in your beer so maybe this is another way to get it out. I may try this with a split batch I think that would be the only way to tell what the difference is, if any. What do you think.

in this noobs opinion it sounds interesting and i would like to follow your experiment.

When you wash yeast you can get rid of the majority of trub. Use a hop bag in the boil and you can eliminate that mess. Also, pour your wort through a strainer when going into the fermenter, you'll leave most of the break behind.

Way too much effort, IMO. But it would probably work just fine.

once i chill my wort down to 70 i just put the lid back on the pot and allow all the trub to settle down to the bottom... usually give it about 30 min. ( i also use whirfloc) i barely pull any sediment if any at all and once fermentation is complete i have a very clean yeast cake... i doubt think it would be worth the extra time and effort to drop it that low IMHO.

On BN podcasts Jamil Z talks about doing this mostly with lagers, where since you're pitching cold anyways it would make sense to chill down to 40 or so, rack, let warm up a bit, and then pitch.

But for ales, I agree that it might be too much trouble for not much gain. If you're careful you can avoid most of the trub getting into the fermenter.

I've done it with some light lagers. Chill to 45, wait 4-8 hours and remove the cold break, then pitch. Makes for a cleaner beer and cleaner yeast if you're re-pitching.

Thanks for the input, just for clarification I wasnt really brining this up with the intention being primarily repitching yeast, I was just stating that it may make that easier and be one potential benefit of this technique. I wanted to explore the idea after reading about a cold soak technique wineries use to extract a bit more from the fruit prior to fermentation. With beer I dont know that there is much use for the technique just wanted to see what other thoughs/ experiences were out there with this technique. I could see doing a pre-fermentation dry hop, not sure how usefull it would be as alot of the aromatics may be blown off by co2 production. But it may be another place in the process to cram some hop flavor/ aroma in there.

Back