Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > nutrient deficiency?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
rgodin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Nutrient Deficiencies?
Picture 1: Looks like a nutrient deficiency, depending on whether it is a younger leaf or older leaf could point to the specific deficiency. If this leaf is an older leaf (Macro nutrient deficiency) its probably a nitrogen deficiency. If its on a younger leaf near the top of the plant or one of the side arms (micro nutrient deficiency) probably iron or zinc deficiency (hard to tell this early short of a tissue test through a lab).
Picture 2: Looks like the after effects of two spot spider mite.
Picture 3: looks like advanced nitrogen deficiency but tough to tell from pic.
Picture 4: From this whole plant pic, it looks like you have both Macro and Micro nutrient deficiencies. Remedies: Fertilizer with balanced N-P-K (16-16-16 or 20-20-20 or something similar) will take care of the macro nutrient deficiencies (1/2 tsp per gallon every other watering).
For the micro nutrient deficiencies, you'll need to find a fertilizer with iron, manganese and zinc and apply as the directions say. These may not correct the existing problem but new growth should be a good green color. Small amounts of compost (1/2 inch over the top of soil) and watered in will also help. This will also help your rhizomes store nutrients of next year.
Cheers,
Ron Godin

Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
FrFtr28
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Any update on this? My leaves are starting to get the same purple color to them and I'm thinking I may have the same problem.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1699 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 4257

For the mites you might try here: http://www.arbico-organics.com/categ...tors-parasites

For the fert you might try here: http://www.wormpoop.com/
Regards, GF.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #14
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrFtr28 View Post
Any update on this? My leaves are starting to get the same purple color to them and I'm thinking I may have the same problem.
To update, the leaf spotting was pretty much entirely from spider mite damage, and the yellowing on the healthier leaves seems like it was from a lack of nutrients. I've been regularly hitting the plant with a 20-20-20 fertilizer. I tried ladybugs but the ones I got locally were mostly dead in the container, and the few that were still alive wandered off within a few days. I went back to spraying with an alcohol-water solution. I also did a lot of pruning of the most heavily infested leaves. Any time a leaf turned more than 50% brown I pulled it off and disposed of it. Between the pruning and the spraying the spider mites seem to be under control now. A lot of the original growth on the plant is dying back, but I've gotten a lot of new growth around the base of the plant. Unfortunately all the baby hop cones I had in development have died, so I'm not expecting any harvest this year. It's a first year plant though so I wasn't expecting a lot.

FrFtr28, I didn't notice much purple coloring to my leaves. It may just be the pictures, but in person the leaves had more of a bronze color to them.