Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Island Mist Question

Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
ben2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Island Mist Question

Hey everyone, so I just racked my Island Mist wine to my secondary (going to wait the 10 days, and then add chemicals/f-pack). Just wondering, in the instructions it says to leave the sediment in the secondary while adding the chemicals and to stir it up - anyone know why they say to do this, and does everyone who has made these follow this, or do you rack it off a second time and then add chemicals?

I know it will drop out of suspension later, just wondering what is the point.

Thanks.

Secondary Wine:
Bottled:Brewers Spring Pils, Island Mist Strawberry Merlot

Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Brad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Its just a chemical to help along the clearing process. If you were to not use them it could take weeks to clear compared to a few days. IMO by mixing the wine, sediment, and packs the sediment all falls evenly creating a thick sediment on the bottom when it clears. Any kits I have done have been clear the next day by following the instructions.