Dry Hopping - anybody use tea balls/infusers? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping - anybody use tea balls/infusers?

Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
permo
Recipes 

Sep 2009
North Dakota
Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

No matter how carefull I am with racking, it seems that in my dry hopped beers, I always get some sediment in my bottles. I dry hop simply by throwing the pellets in and letting them settle. My last batch I waited 3 weeks for the hops to settle and they really never did. Regardless, I got a ton of hops in my bottles. Dry hopped in the bottle i guess!

So my frustration just led me to order up two 4 inch stainless steel tea balls and I already have two 2 inchers. I am thinking that the combination of these four infusers should allow adequate space to use up to two ounces of pellets, allowing for expansion.

Does anybody have any experience using these for dry hopping?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Hilbert
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i haven't used those although I have looked at them. I usually sanitize a muslin bag and dry hop with them. It works for me athought they can be tricky to get out when cleaning the carboy. I usually flip it upside down and cut open the hop bag.

Tap 4: Heffe

Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Ridley Park, PA
Liked 56 Times on 41 Posts

I dryhop with pellets straight naked into the carboy all the time. 7 day dryhop then 2 day cold crash then gelatin for 3 days. Use a sanitized 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the suction end of your racking cane to help keep any rogue hop bits out.
Barrel aged: Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
permo
Recipes 

Sep 2009
North Dakota
Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
I dryhop with pellets straight naked into the carboy all the time. 7 day dryhop then 2 day cold crash then gelatin for 3 days. Use a sanitized 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the suction end of your racking cane to help keep any rogue hop bits out.
Man, wouldn't a hop bag or infusion balls be a lot easier?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
dstar26t
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Ridley Park, PA

I cold crash and gelatin on beers that don't get dryhopped too, depending on yeast strain.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
eggraid101
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Leesburg, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used three 2-inch balls to dry hop my last brew; It was an easy way to keep the hops out of the brew; I put about .33 oz in each ball; the hops really absorb a lot of brew and the balls were full of soaked hops. The first tasting was good, I'll do the same thing again. I switched to this method after having a similar experience to yours with hops in the bottles.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
dstar26t
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Ridley Park, PA

I used to use these to dry hop but they only fit 1 oz of pellets and don't work as well as just dumping the pellets in.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
Jawbox0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Debary, Florida
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts

I sanitized a new nylon stocking and zip tied it to my racking cane in the batch I just finished.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
bentonre
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Allentown, PA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've used them in my cornies for dry hopping. I attach a wine cork to the chain to keep them suspended in the beer and make them easier to pull out.