Guvnah (ESB)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
European Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 @ 65* F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Balanced malt/bitterness, caramel, med hop flavor, med-low mild/floral hop aroma
9 lb Golden Promise
.5 lb Toasted Maris Otter (~25L)
.5 lb Honey malt
1 lb Crystal 40L
.5 lb Flaked Barley

Mash @ 155* F for 60 min

1 oz Styrian Goldings pellet 5.2% FWH
1.25 oz Willamette whole 6.4% 60 min
1 oz Willamette whole 6.4% 5 min
1 oz Styrian Goldings pellet 5.2% Flameout

This beer scored 40 in the 1st Round of the 2010 NHC and took gold in it's category in the second round.

Congrats Matt/Jake.

I'll make this during the summer for the fall (that's when I like to get my malt on after lots of summer lagers).
Thanks. FWIW, this is Jake (crappy cell phone pic):
Jake1.jpg

He helps by eating any spilled spent grains.

I brewed this yesterday with Maris Otter since that's what I had in bulk. I've never brewed an English ale with a German yeast so I'm really looking forward to this!

That's a fine looking recipe and one I would not have imagined. I'm not familiar with the European Ale strain. What does that contribute?

That's a fine looking recipe and one I would not have imagined. I'm not familiar with the European Ale strain. What does that contribute?
It's just a low attenuation/high floc strain that leaves a malty brew. I've never been one to stick to british yeast for british beers, german yeasts for german beers, etc. I'd rather just choose the yeast based on it's characteristics regardless of where it 'originated'. This yeast shares some of 'british yeast' characteristics.

Latest posts

Back