Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > External HEX Vs. Internal

Old 06-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default External HEX Vs. Internal

Is there a benefit to having your HEX say in a 2g cooler instead of right in the HLT? I'm in the process of building my HERMS and see some have external HEXs and some all in one. I have a cooler I can use so.. I need some direction.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My HEX is a 1500 watt element in a 2 gallon cooler. It works fine for me.

The reason that I didn't put my HEX in my HLT is because I wanted it to be as modular as possible. I sometimes BiaB or no sparge brew, so I don't need an HLT for those. Heating up the HLT to use the HEX would be a waste in those situations.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Gwitz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Although I do not have a HERMS at the moment, i have giving it some thought. My HLT will already have a heating element and thermometer. Using a cooler would require more space and extra equipment.

However using a smaller vessel like a 2 gallon cooler would allow quicker use of the Hex and more efficient use of heat. It is kind of a toss up.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
mattmauriello
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I saw an article or post a while back where the brewer had made his HEX inside a 5 or 6 inch piece of pipe, with the rubbing inside, wrapped around an electric element, with water in that. Wish I could find the link, but really stays in line with the modular idea, and takes up much less space than a cooler. You can even mount it vertically on the mash tun for a nice autonomous unit.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
mattmauriello
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, it's hard to type on a phone. Rubbing = tubing.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

A small standalone HEX can change temperature a lot faster than a HEX in a large HLT.
This can be a case of diminishing returns, as it still takes a while for the temperature change to propagate through the entire mash via recirculation.
It also decouples your sparge water from the mash; you can heat just your strike water and get the mash rolling, then heat your sparge water at your leisure.
It's arguable how much time/effort this may save.

Personally, I do use a standalone 2-gallon HERMS. I wouldn't necessarily rule out going to a HLT-based HERMS at some point in the future though.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Ok, I also have a corny keg that is no longer staying pressureized. I can use that as a HEX chamber as well. However if there really isn't a huge benefit, I can just put everything right into my HLT.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
Is there a benefit to having your HEX say in a 2g cooler instead of right in the HLT? I'm in the process of building my HERMS and see some have external HEXs and some all in one. I have a cooler I can use so.. I need some direction.

Thanks!
Basically what you are looking at is a RIMS. A RIMS brewery uses an external HEX to recirculate and keep the Mash at a constant temperature. A RIMS uses a tube with an electric heating element that is controlled with a PID to recirculate the mash and keep the mash at a constant temperature.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/

Old 06-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Basically what you are looking at is a RIMS. A RIMS brewery uses an external HEX to recirculate and keep the Mash at a constant temperature. A RIMS uses a tube with an electric heating element that is controlled with a PID to recirculate the mash and keep the mash at a constant temperature.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/
I'm not sure that this is correct. All the RIMS that I've seen have had the wort in direct contact with the element.

What he's talking about is a HERMS like everyone else's, except that the coil is in a small water-filled cooler with a heating element, rather than the HLT.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
drez77
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
My HEX is a 1500 watt element in a 2 gallon cooler. It works fine for me.
Have mine set up the same way. I like the flexibility to have the HEX at one temperature and being able to have my HLT heating water at a different temp. Also, IMO, makes step mashing easier because their is much less liquid to heat up and allows a faster increase.