Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Some very good websites on Cider!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts

Default Some very good websites on Cider!

I've been doing a lot of searching recently about planting cider apple trees. Thanks to a helpful link from gratus fermentatio, I found some other very good sites I thought I'd share. Even if you have seen them, I think its good to have this stuff in one place.

Craft Cider Making - Andrew Lea's site.
From what I've read, this guy is pretty much the John Palmer of the cider world. He also has a book called Craft Cider Making which I have on order.

Real Cider and Perry
This site has a lot of great info on sourcing cider apple cultivars and cider making in general. There is also some good info on building a mill and press.

Cider apple cultivars
This is the link gratus fermentatio sent me to. I haven't contacted the nursery, but it might be a good place to check if you are looking to start some sort of small orchard.

I've also ordered these books from Amazon:
Cider: Making, Using and Enjoying Sweet & Hard Cider
The Apple Grower: Guide for the organic orchardist (for the more adventurist looking to actually grow cider apples)

I'll post more as I find them. Feel free to add to the list!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Liked 120 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the first book. I like it.

Thanks for the links.

HB Bill
Old 06-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Proulx/Lew book you have on order from Amazon is great about talking about tree spacing, size, climate, etc.

I think Ben Watson's book does a little better talking about varieties.

Andrew's website has an excellent list for Nurseries here in the States that carry cider tree stock.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The Brewing Network (The Jamil SHow) has two really good podcasts (and one really bad one) on cidermaking. Avoid the 2/15/08 episode because the guys are so drunk they couldn't stick to the topic. It's fun to listen to but short on help. The others are good, though.