Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry hopping with pellets?

Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
wulfsburg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dry hopping with pellets?

Is it ok to do this?I acidentally ordered 2 ozes of cascade pellets instead of plugs. Can I still dry hop with this?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
jlarsen625
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Yes definitely. I've just poured the pellets straight into the carboy and then siphoned a little more carefully when bottling time came around and it turned out great. I have a friend who uses muslin bags for his dry hops and they work well too.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do I need to sterilize them first?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 698 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfsburg View Post
Do I need to sterilize them first?
Do you mean sanitize? I never have. I just toss them in straight from the bag. I also try not to let them get otherwise exposed to anything else (i.e., quickly open bag & dump all of them in), but that might not be completely necessary. By the time you're adding dry hops, you don't exactly have a hospitable environment in your fermented beer for most bugs, and hops prevent the nasties from getting a foothold anyway, so it's probably safe to just toss them in and not worry much.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
gestyr
Just an earthbound misfit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I agree with just dumping the pellets in. As for the siphoning, just put a nylon sock over the end of your siphon. I actually use a dryer screen with a nylon knee high sock.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
febbrewro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Only dry hopped once, but I just dumped the bag of pellets in, nothing bad happened and the beer tasted great.

I'm dry hopping again this friday, and I'm just going to dump again. As for siphoning, the last time the hops just floated on top, so I just siphoned from below and didn't get anything in the finished beer.

May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead. May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
- Irish Toast

Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You should be fine. I used to do it all the time before I kegged. Now I keg hop. One key I found to dry hopping with pellets is if you can find a way to cold crash the beer, this helps out tremendously to aid with forming a nice compact sediment of hops at the bottom of the fermenter. Then you can just rack over top of that without getting any hop particles in your bottling bucket.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

I dh with pellets all the time. I just either add them to primary in the last week of my 20 day primary, or if I am racking to secondary I just dump them right in the carboy and rack on top of them. No need to sanitize them if the package hasn't been opened.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I usually sanitize a nylon mesh bag and put the pellets into that for dry hopping. That way the mesh bag acts as a filter when you transfer to your kegs/bottling bucket.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Just wanted to vent about pellets. I hate them and will never use them again. Aside from storage issues, I just don't see the point of using anything other than whole hops.

But I understand that I am in the minority on this.

Whew, that felt great.......